Quant Trading Seen Playing Significant Roll in Shipper Rally - Wells Fargo (DRYS) (DCIX) (GLBS)
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
Wells Fargo shipping analyst Michael Webber provided an addendum to his earlier note on the wild activity seen in the sector over the past 5 days.
He said while they believe retail momentum and short covering likely got this trade going, given the sheer size of the volume and the continued (relentless) pricing movements " we believe momentum based algorithms (quant trading) are likely a very significant factor/catalyst at this point."
"We believe this is important to note, given that if these moves were purely a retail momentum trade, the incremental value created could have relatively more staying power than a more quant driven flash (esque) bubble," he said.
"Again, we think this micro-cap outperformance started with a thematic, risk-on Trump rotation, followed by retail momentum and (multiple) short squeezes, with an ever increasing push from quant driven momentum. While we believe these pricing movements are still too severe get in front of on the short side (at least for us), we do think there will be a material flip side to this trade. Ultimately, we think they’ll give a lot of this back...but probably not all of it, as longer-term prospects have likely improved to at least some degree."
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Tesla's (TSLA) Price Target Cut to Street Low of $155 at Cowen
- GenVec (GNVC) halted again LUDP last up 30%
- Options with increasing volume
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Momentum Movers, Short Sales, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesWells Fargo
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!