Quant Trading Seen Playing Significant Roll in Shipper Rally - Wells Fargo (DRYS) (DCIX) (GLBS)
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Wells Fargo shipping analyst Michael Webber provided an addendum to his earlier note on the wild activity seen in the sector over the past 5 days.
He said while they believe retail momentum and short covering likely got this trade going, given the sheer size of the volume and the continued (relentless) pricing movements " we believe momentum based algorithms (quant trading) are likely a very significant factor/catalyst at this point."
"We believe this is important to note, given that if these moves were purely a retail momentum trade, the incremental value created could have relatively more staying power than a more quant driven flash (esque) bubble," he said.
"Again, we think this micro-cap outperformance started with a thematic, risk-on Trump rotation, followed by retail momentum and (multiple) short squeezes, with an ever increasing push from quant driven momentum. While we believe these pricing movements are still too severe get in front of on the short side (at least for us), we do think there will be a material flip side to this trade. Ultimately, we think they’ll give a lot of this back...but probably not all of it, as longer-term prospects have likely improved to at least some degree."
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Citron Research Negative on TransDigm Group (TDG) amid Trump Era; Calls Valeant of Aerospace
- Uncertainty measured by IPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures (VXX) is low into Trump
- DryShips (DRYS) Plans 1-for-8 Reverse Stock Split
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Momentum Movers, Short Sales, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesWells Fargo
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!