Prudential Financial (PRU) Garners Spot on Goldman Sachs's Conviction Buy List
- AT&T (T) Agrees to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for More than $80 Billion - WSJ
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
(Updated - September 23, 2016 8:27 AM EDT)
Goldman Sachs upgraded Prudential Financial (NYSE: PRU) from Neutral to Conviction Buy with a price target of $93.00 (from $80.00), implying upside of 16%. Analyst Michael Kovac highlighted stabilized EPS and "macro optionality."
Kovac explained, "We upgrade PRU to Buy from Neutral and add it to the Conviction List, as its asset management/retirement/life franchise screens favorably given double-digit ROE and EPS growth while the stock trades at just 1x 2Q16 BV ex AOCI, <8x ‘17 EPS. Along with its life peers, PRU is highly correlated to the UST10Y, but we see fundamental upside from (1) inflecting earnings, as we are above consensus in 2017/18; (2) improving capital returns; and (3) a diverse base of undervalued operations. While PRU benefits from upside rate optionality (GSe 2% UST10Y at YE), we also see less near-term downside risk than rate sensitive peers after the firm completed its annual assumption review in 2Q."
Kovac sees catalyst form positive EPS revisions, improved capital deployment, its differentiated franchise, and optionality on higher rates. Discussing the latter, the analyst said, "Our work on relative valuation vs. interest rates implies that, despite the recent run, PRU’s P/E could expand >1x if the UST10Y rises to 2%. PRU is among the most liquid insurers and today trades at half the S&P’s multiple."
Shares of Prudential Financial closed at $80.14 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Stifel Upgrades PayPal (PYPL) to Buy Following 'Solid' Q3 Results
- Jefferies Raises Price Target on ICON plc (ICLR) to $87.50; Reiterates Hold
- Jefferies Cuts Price Target on Crown Holdings (CCK) Following 3Q
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, Analyst PT Change, Hot Comments, Hot Upgrades, Upgrades
Related EntitiesGoldman Sachs Conviction Buy List, Goldman Sachs, Standard & Poor's, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!