Prudential Financial (PRU) Garners Spot on Goldman Sachs's Conviction Buy List
- DuPont (DD) Tops Q4 EPS by 9c; Sees Merger Closing in First Half
- Barclays Downgrades Apple (AAPL) to Equalweight, Concerned India/China Will not Emerge As Growth Catalysts
- Yahoo! (YHOO) Tops Q4 EPS by 4c; Sees Verizon Deal Closing in Q2, Not Q1
- SAP (SAP) Q4 IFRS Revenues Rises 7%, Boosts 2020 Outlook
- Oppenheimer Downgrades Energous Corp (WATT) to Perform
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Updated - September 23, 2016 8:27 AM EDT)
Goldman Sachs upgraded Prudential Financial (NYSE: PRU) from Neutral to Conviction Buy with a price target of $93.00 (from $80.00), implying upside of 16%. Analyst Michael Kovac highlighted stabilized EPS and "macro optionality."
Kovac explained, "We upgrade PRU to Buy from Neutral and add it to the Conviction List, as its asset management/retirement/life franchise screens favorably given double-digit ROE and EPS growth while the stock trades at just 1x 2Q16 BV ex AOCI, <8x ‘17 EPS. Along with its life peers, PRU is highly correlated to the UST10Y, but we see fundamental upside from (1) inflecting earnings, as we are above consensus in 2017/18; (2) improving capital returns; and (3) a diverse base of undervalued operations. While PRU benefits from upside rate optionality (GSe 2% UST10Y at YE), we also see less near-term downside risk than rate sensitive peers after the firm completed its annual assumption review in 2Q."
Kovac sees catalyst form positive EPS revisions, improved capital deployment, its differentiated franchise, and optionality on higher rates. Discussing the latter, the analyst said, "Our work on relative valuation vs. interest rates implies that, despite the recent run, PRU’s P/E could expand >1x if the UST10Y rises to 2%. PRU is among the most liquid insurers and today trades at half the S&P’s multiple."
Shares of Prudential Financial closed at $80.14 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Expect Google (GOOGL) To Post A Strong Topline Q4 Report - Goldman Sachs
- Instinet Downgrades DineEquity (DIN) to Neutral
- Broadcom Limited (AVGO) PT Raised to $240 at Morgan Stanley, Says $300 Is Potential Bull Case Target
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, Analyst PT Change, Hot Comments, Hot Upgrades, Upgrades
Related EntitiesGoldman Sachs Conviction Buy List, Goldman Sachs, Standard & Poor's, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!