Prudential Financial (PRU) Garners Spot on Goldman Sachs's Conviction Buy List
- Wall St. touches two-week high on deals, strong earnings
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 10/24: (UNIS) (MBVT) (ACCO) Higher; (TDW) (INO) (BCC) Lower
- AT&T (T) to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for $107.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) for $6.4B
- TD Ameritrade (AMTD) to Acquire Scottrade in $4B Cash & Stock Deal
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
(Updated - September 23, 2016 8:27 AM EDT)
Goldman Sachs upgraded Prudential Financial (NYSE: PRU) from Neutral to Conviction Buy with a price target of $93.00 (from $80.00), implying upside of 16%. Analyst Michael Kovac highlighted stabilized EPS and "macro optionality."
Kovac explained, "We upgrade PRU to Buy from Neutral and add it to the Conviction List, as its asset management/retirement/life franchise screens favorably given double-digit ROE and EPS growth while the stock trades at just 1x 2Q16 BV ex AOCI, <8x ‘17 EPS. Along with its life peers, PRU is highly correlated to the UST10Y, but we see fundamental upside from (1) inflecting earnings, as we are above consensus in 2017/18; (2) improving capital returns; and (3) a diverse base of undervalued operations. While PRU benefits from upside rate optionality (GSe 2% UST10Y at YE), we also see less near-term downside risk than rate sensitive peers after the firm completed its annual assumption review in 2Q."
Kovac sees catalyst form positive EPS revisions, improved capital deployment, its differentiated franchise, and optionality on higher rates. Discussing the latter, the analyst said, "Our work on relative valuation vs. interest rates implies that, despite the recent run, PRU’s P/E could expand >1x if the UST10Y rises to 2%. PRU is among the most liquid insurers and today trades at half the S&P’s multiple."
Shares of Prudential Financial closed at $80.14 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- BMO Capital Raises Price Target on ManpowerGroup (MAN) Following 3Q Surprise
- Jefferies Raises Price Target on FMC Technologies (FTI) After Adjusting Estimates
- Amazon (AMZN) PT Raised to $1050 at Goldman Sachs Into Q3 Print
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, Analyst PT Change, Hot Comments, Hot Upgrades, Upgrades
Related EntitiesGoldman Sachs Conviction Buy List, Goldman Sachs, Standard & Poor's, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!