Piper Positive on Mobileye (MBLY) Amid Reports Tesla (TSLA) Lost Key Mapping, Navigation Exec
- Wall Street again marks new highs in post-election run
- Broadcom Ltd. (AVGO) Tops Q4 EPS by 11c
- Restoration Hardware (RH) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Guides Well Below the Street
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 12/8: (COOL) (TLRD) (DRAM) Higher; (SHIP) (OHRP) (MLSS) Lower
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/08: (FNSR) (AVGO) (GLPG) Higher; (XTLY) (RH) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
Piper Jaffray affirms Mobileye (Nasdaq: MBLY) at Overweight with a price target of $60 following news that Tesla recently lost a key mapping exec.
The firm commented today,
The Information, which is a technology-oriented news website, reported that Tesla (Nasdaq: TSLA) has lost Bill Chen, who was leading the company's mapping and navigation efforts. If true, this development could be a positive sign for Overweight-rated MBLY, who we think recently "fired" Tesla as a customer. Dynamic 3D mapping is a key bottleneck in the development of self-driving vehicles, and MBLY is trying to convince all car companies to standardize around its "REM" platform. Any speed bumps in Tesla's own (competing) self-driving program could eventually force the company to admit that MBLY's platform is the only viable way forward.
Overall thoughts on Mobileye:
Although our exact forecast and valuation methodology are a topic for debate, we think headline catalysts will be the most important driver of MBLY's stock performance in the coming year. With competitors apparently reeling, we think evidence is growing that MBLY will succeed in establishing the industry standard for self-driving vehicles, thereby locking itself into a quasi-monopolistic position (similar to Windows/Intel for PCs).
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- MKM Partners Raises Price Target on Ciena (CIEN) to $30 Following 4Q
- BMO Capital Raises Price Target on Ciena (CIEN) Following 4Q
- Jefferies Downgrades SL Green Realty (SLG) to Hold
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Management Changes
Related EntitiesPiper Jaffray, Tesla
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!