Piper Jaffray Downgrades Valley National Bancorp (VLY) to Neutral
- Wall St. set to open lower, weighed down by GE
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
- General Electric (GE) Tops Q3 EPS by 2c; Updates FY16 EPS Outlook
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 10/21: (ALKS) (RAI) (PFPT) (MSFT) Higher; (SGY) (TWLO) (RRGB) Lower (more...)
- Oil rises on Russia's output freeze commitment
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
Piper Jaffray downgraded Valley National Bancorp (NYSE: VLY) from Overweight to Neutral with a price target of $9.50 (from $10.00) following "underwhelming" Q2 results.
Analyst Matthew Breese commented, "This was a disappointing quarter for VLY as margin expansion was less than expected (+6bp to 3.14% vs. our 3.18% est.), expenses were elevated (2Q operating expenses equaled $119.1 vs. our $116.2 million estimate), and bottom line earnings were a penny light at $0.15 p/s compared to our estimates. Loan growth was a bright spot, with balances increasing 2.3% and fee income was stronger than anticipated driven by higher mortgage banking revenue. Overall, the company generated a 0.68% ROA, in-line with the past six quarters, and tangible book value increased to $5.44 p/s, up from $5.40 p/s in the first quarter. With continued margin pressure, we lowered EPS estimates, reduced our price target to $9.50 p/s and lowered our rating to Neutral from Overweight. Our new P/T equates to 14x our 2017 estimates, a multiple in-line with Northeast peers at 14x."
Shares of Valley National Bancorp closed at $9.40 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Stifel Upgrades PayPal (PYPL) to Buy Following 'Solid' Q3 Results
- SunTrust Raises Price Target on E*TRADE Financial (ETFC) to $31 Following Solid 3Q
- Microsoft (MSFT) PT Lifted to $68 at Nomura
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS Change, Analyst EPS View, Analyst PT Change, Downgrades
Related EntitiesPiper Jaffray, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!