Piper Jaffray Downgrades Nike (NKE) to Neutral
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
Piper Jaffray downgraded Nike (NYSE: NKE) from Overweight to Neutral with a price target of $58.00, saying competitive headwinds could leave the stock range bound.
Analyst Erinn Murphy commented, "We are downgrading our investment rating on NKE from OW to Neutral following our multi-market visits in Germany, UK & France this past week. While we believe in the brand longterm, the resurgence of adidas has taken a toll on Nike's growth rate in the region. We are also seeing other competition for the brand in Europe accelerate--from the likes of Puma, New Balance and surprisingly Reebok (Classics). Unlike other brands, markdowns of Nike product were consistent across our wholesale checks. Bottom line, these competitive pressures combined with a more muted innovation pipeline for Nike currently, could weigh on Nike for the next 6-12 month period. In terms of our model, our estimates and PT remain unchanged. We are stepping to the sidelines and expect NKE shares to be in a period of digestion until we see evidence of new platform innovation and earnings acceleration."
Shares of Nike closed at $57.72 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Pivotal Research Downgrades Kroger (KR) to Hold
- Sonoco (SON) Affirms FY16 Outlook; Guides FY17 EPS Below Views
- Brean Capital Cuts Price Target on G-III Apparel Group (GIII) Following 3Q Miss
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Downgrades, Hot Downgrades
Related EntitiesPiper Jaffray, Earnings, Erinn Murphy
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!