Pier 1 Imports (PIR): Margin Recovery Overshadowed By Weak Comps - Guggenheim
- Consumer staples stocks help Wall St. pare some losses
- BAT Reaches Deal to Acquire Reynolds American (RAI) for $49 Billion
- Verizon Communications (VZ) May Acquire Big Cable Company - NYP (CHTR) (CMCSA)
- Citron Research Negative on Lannett (LCI); Sees Shares at 'Zero' Over Long Term
- Einhorn's Greenlight Mentions Caterpillar (CAT) Short in Q4 Letter; Doesn't See Disney (DIS) Buying Netflix (NFLX)
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Guggenheim analyst, Steven Forbes, reiterated his Neutral rating on shares of Pier 1 Imports (NYSE: PIR) as the 2Q merchandise margin recovery was overshadowed by weak comps. the analyst is remaining cautious on PIR’s secular prospects due to its sub-optimal real estate footprint in the face of a tepid consumer and challenging competitive environment.
The analyst thinks management's updated guidance implies a sequential improvement in comp momentum—from down 4.3% to down 1-3%—and appears conservative given 3Q to-date run-rate of low-SD positive. A return to positive comps is encouraging given its importance to overall sales growth but it may not be sustainable. As a result, the analyst is keeping estimates near the lower end of guidance partially due to expectations for a highly promotional and competitive backdrop this 4Q.
Shares of Pier 1 Imports closed at $4.27 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: JPMorgan Downgrades OneMain (OMF) to Neutral
- FBR Capital Remains Bullish on JPMorgan (JPM) Following 4Q EPS Beat
- Zendesk (ZEN) Falls as JMP Checks Suggest Q4 Bookings May Disappoint
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS Change, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!