Pier 1 Imports (PIR): Margin Recovery Overshadowed By Weak Comps - Guggenheim
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Guggenheim analyst, Steven Forbes, reiterated his Neutral rating on shares of Pier 1 Imports (NYSE: PIR) as the 2Q merchandise margin recovery was overshadowed by weak comps. the analyst is remaining cautious on PIR’s secular prospects due to its sub-optimal real estate footprint in the face of a tepid consumer and challenging competitive environment.
The analyst thinks management's updated guidance implies a sequential improvement in comp momentum—from down 4.3% to down 1-3%—and appears conservative given 3Q to-date run-rate of low-SD positive. A return to positive comps is encouraging given its importance to overall sales growth but it may not be sustainable. As a result, the analyst is keeping estimates near the lower end of guidance partially due to expectations for a highly promotional and competitive backdrop this 4Q.
Shares of Pier 1 Imports closed at $4.27 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- PayPal (PYPL): Improving Visibility, Raising PT - Wedbush
- Jefferies Cuts Price Target on Reliance Steel (RS) Following 3Q EPS Miss and Guidance
- Proofpoint (PFPT): Raising PT After A Stellar Quarter - Wells Fargo
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS Change, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!