Pier 1 Imports (PIR): Margin Recovery Overshadowed By Weak Comps - Guggenheim
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
Guggenheim analyst, Steven Forbes, reiterated his Neutral rating on shares of Pier 1 Imports (NYSE: PIR) as the 2Q merchandise margin recovery was overshadowed by weak comps. the analyst is remaining cautious on PIR’s secular prospects due to its sub-optimal real estate footprint in the face of a tepid consumer and challenging competitive environment.
The analyst thinks management's updated guidance implies a sequential improvement in comp momentum—from down 4.3% to down 1-3%—and appears conservative given 3Q to-date run-rate of low-SD positive. A return to positive comps is encouraging given its importance to overall sales growth but it may not be sustainable. As a result, the analyst is keeping estimates near the lower end of guidance partially due to expectations for a highly promotional and competitive backdrop this 4Q.
Shares of Pier 1 Imports closed at $4.27 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Drexel Hamilton Raises Price Target on Workday (WDAY) Following 3Q Beat
- Jefferies Cuts Price Target on PG&E Corp. (PCG) to $65 Following Rate Case Decision
- Oppenheimer Cuts Price Target on Workday (WDAY) Following 3Q; Reiterates Outperform
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS Change, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!