Pacific Crest Upgrades Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (TSM) to Sector Weight
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Pacific Crest upgraded Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. Ltd. (NYSE: TSM) from Underperform to Sector Weight. Analyst Michael McConnell sees balanced risk/reward and pointed out more favorable outlook for the company's gross margin, reduced competition, and share gains at the 10 nm node.
"Revenue of $8.20 billion (+20% q/q) was above consensus of $8.10 billion (+17% q/q), driven by stronger-than-expected smartphone demand. Gross margin of 50.7% was below consensus of 51.6% due to margin dilution from higher 16 nm mix and an unfavorable exchange rate, partially offset by an increase in the utilization rate and cost reductions. EPS of $0.59 was slightly above consensus of $0.58," said McConnell.
"We note that TSMC has missed its gross margin guidance for two of the past three quarters, likely due to pricing pressure from regaining Apple foundry share and lower 16 nm yields. As 16 nm yield has improved, we believe secular pressure on the company’s gross margin should be mitigated going forward. We note that TSMC expects 16 nm gross margin to reach the corporate average in 1Q17 and overall gross margin to be close to 50% in 2017," continued the analyst.
McConnell added, "We are upgrading TSM to Sector Weight from Underweight given a more favorable outlook for the company's gross margin, as well as reduced competition and share gains at the 10 nm node. We believe the risk/reward on the shares to be balanced."
Shares of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. Ltd. closed at $30.53 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- JPMorgan Raises Rating on CBOE Holdings (CBOE) to 'Overweight'; Analyst Thinks Bats Technology Will Drive Greater Trading Activity
- Jefferies Cuts Price Target on Kroger (KR) to $30 Following 3Q and Guidance
- Pivotal Research Downgrades Kroger (KR) to Hold
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, Upgrades
Related EntitiesPacific Crest Securities
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!