Oracle (ORCL): Tug Of War Between Old And New - UBS
- Wall Street climbs in wake of first presidential face-off
- Nike (NKE) Tops Q1 EPS by 17c; Futures Orders Miss Views
- Tempur Sealy (TPX) Updates on Outlook; Sees Q3 Sales Below Prior Expectations
- Galectin (GALT) Reports Exploratory Phase 2a Pilot Trial of GR-MD-02 in Nash Misses Primary Biomarker Endpoint; Announces $1.5M Private Placement
- After-Hours Stock Movers 09/27: (SEED) (GALE) (CTAS) Higher; (GALT) (TPX) (NKE) Lower (more...)
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
UBS analyst, Brent Thill, reiterated his Buy rating on shares of Oracle (NYSE: ORCL) noting that the "Cloud progress is clear, encouraging, and largely incremental" but "continues to come with an inferior margin profile relative to the onprem biz, and we wonder if the real compression on ORCL's profitability is yet to come, especially if the higher margin infrastructure franchise has yet to even begin its Cloud pivot".
Cloud SaaS/PaaS revs performance were highlights (+82% cc with some help from OPWR and TXTR acquisitions) and declines in new software license were modestly better than feared, but weakness in the hardware biz (mostly legacy, Exadata did well) soft maintenance revs (flat q/q), and 1ppt of unanticipated FX weighed on headline results, driving the ~$90M revs miss. The topline underperformance was further aggravated by a combo of higher opex (onboarding of recent acquisitions), higher tax rate (Cloud overachievement in higher tax jurisdictions) and modestly higher interest from the $14B Jun'16 debt raise which cumulatively contributed to the 3c EPS miss. While Cloud gross billings were healthy (+52% y/y UBS calcs) and +40% y/y ARR growth respectable despite hard comps, CFFO $5.9B disappointed vs. St's $6.1B, with $9.4B of DR in line.
No change to the price target of $44.
Shares of Oracle closed at $40.86 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Oracle (ORCL) Cleared by U.S. DOJ to Acquire NetSuite (N)
- Oracle Marketing Cloud Extends Leadership with Next Generation of Cross-Channel Orchestration Canvas
- Visa and Oracle Introduce New Tools to Help Improve Digital Ad Performance
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!