Oracle (ORCL): Gearing Up To Take On Amazon's AWS - UBS
- Top 10 News for 9/26 - 9/30: Deutsche Bank Soars on Settlement; Twitter Back in the M&A Fray; Nike 'Just Didn't Do It' in Q1
- Wall Street rallies, led by Deutsche Bank, financials
- Viacom (VIAB) Forms Special Committee; Will Explore Potential Combination with CBS (CBS)
- Deutsche Bank (DB) Said Near $5.4B Settlement with U.S. - AFP
- Oil up second straight month on OPEC-fueled rally
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
UBS analyst Brent Thill, reiterated his Buy rating on shares of Oracle (NYSE: ORCL) after the company completely reversed its strategic view on IaaS and PaaS, clearly aiming at Amazon's (NASDAQ: AMZN) AWS dominance. Its much awaited, expanded slate of such Cloud infra offerings inherently competes with its entrenched, margin-rich on-premise portfolio, however, this is the right strategic manoeuvre to protect the core, even if it is painful at the outset.
The analyst is positive on ORCL's:
1) robustness of core tech; 2) ability to deliver a truly hybrid vision
2)hindsight-driven innovation advantage
3) deepening Cloud infra engineering, exec bench
4) captive, 300K large on-prem database audience
However, the analyst also questions if ORCL can navigate this transition in a profitable way (a key reason it initially steered clear), considering the structural low-margin / price competitive market dynamics, ORCL's small current scale (IaaS/PaaS run-rate ARR bookings $400M vs. AWS ~$12B run-rate revs), and the capex lead hyperscale players AWS, MSFT, GOOG have already achieved ($11B, $20B, $28B respectively in last 3yrs, vs. ORCL's $3B).
No change to the price target of $44.00
Shares of Oracle closed at $39.51 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UBS Cuts Price Target on Tractor Supply (TSCO) Following Petsense Acquisition
- Stifel Raises Price Target on Veeva Systems (VEEV) Following Analyst Day
- BMO Capital Reiterates Outperform on Pepsi (PEP) Following Solid 3Q
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!