Oracle (ORCL): Gearing Up To Take On Amazon's AWS - UBS
- Wall Street dips as Verizon drags; AmEx curbs losses
- AT&T (T) Said to Discuss Idea of Takeover in Time Warner (TWX) Meetings
- UPDATE: Qualcomm (QCOM), NXP Semiconductors (NXPI) Deal Could be Announced Next Week - Bloomberg
- Tesla (TSLA) Announces Self-Driving Hardware for All Vehicles in Production; Includes Model 3
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Tops Q4 EPS by 8c; Guides FY17 EPS
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
UBS analyst Brent Thill, reiterated his Buy rating on shares of Oracle (NYSE: ORCL) after the company completely reversed its strategic view on IaaS and PaaS, clearly aiming at Amazon's (NASDAQ: AMZN) AWS dominance. Its much awaited, expanded slate of such Cloud infra offerings inherently competes with its entrenched, margin-rich on-premise portfolio, however, this is the right strategic manoeuvre to protect the core, even if it is painful at the outset.
The analyst is positive on ORCL's:
1) robustness of core tech; 2) ability to deliver a truly hybrid vision
2)hindsight-driven innovation advantage
3) deepening Cloud infra engineering, exec bench
4) captive, 300K large on-prem database audience
However, the analyst also questions if ORCL can navigate this transition in a profitable way (a key reason it initially steered clear), considering the structural low-margin / price competitive market dynamics, ORCL's small current scale (IaaS/PaaS run-rate ARR bookings $400M vs. AWS ~$12B run-rate revs), and the capex lead hyperscale players AWS, MSFT, GOOG have already achieved ($11B, $20B, $28B respectively in last 3yrs, vs. ORCL's $3B).
No change to the price target of $44.00
Shares of Oracle closed at $39.51 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Baird Remains Sidelined on Seagate Technology (STX) Following 1Q EPS Beat
- Halliburton (HAL) PT Raised to $61 at Nomura Following Q3
- Lam Research (LRCX) PT Raised to $95 at Nomura But Remains Sidelined
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!