Needham & Company Remains Sidelined on Palo Alto Networks (PANW) Following Mixed Quarter
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Needham & Company reiterated a Hold rating on Palo Alto Networks (NYSE: PANW) following the company's 1Q earnings report. PANW’s $398.1m revenues and $517m billings were below the consensus estimates of $400m revenue and $525m billings. EPS of $0.55 was better than $0.52 consensus. Management guided 2Q to $426-432m and $0.61-0.63 EPS, which is below consensus $439m and $0.63 EPS.
Analyst Scott Zeller commented, "The PANW F1Q17 (Oct) was a rare miss on revenue and billings, although EPS was above consensus. The overall cooling of the security software market has caught up with PANW; last quarter saw a marked deceleration in billings, and this quarter was a miss and guide-down. The simple explanation in our field discussions is that PANW is still getting the large deals – however, the urgency of 1-1.5 yrs ago to sign off on 7-figure deals has changed, and sales cycles are lengthening. PANW management validated this view in their comments. While we believe PANW is best in class for platform/large cap network security, we view valuation as rangebound; shares indicated down -12% to $141, which is 5x EV/FY18 revenue and 16x EV/FCF’17, which we believe is near fair value for a decelerating large cap with 30% revenue growth. Maintain HOLD."
Shares of Palo Alto Networks closed at $161.06 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Oppenheimer Cuts Price Target on Workday (WDAY) Following 3Q; Reiterates Outperform
- Brean Capital Cuts Price Target on G-III Apparel Group (GIII) Following 3Q Miss
- Needham & Company Raises Price Target on Synopsys (SNPS) Following 4Q
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS Change, Analyst EPS View
Related EntitiesNeedham & Company, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!