Needham & Company Reiterates Hold on Netflix (NFLX) Following 3Q
- Wall Street surges to new highs; transports set record
- lululemon athletica (LULU) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Adj.-Comps Outpaced Views
- Abbott (ABT) Files Complaint to Terminate Alere (ALR) Acquisition
- Costco Wholesale (COST) Tops Q1 EPS by 5c; Comps Up 1%, 2% Ex-Gas
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/07: (VYGR) (LULU) (HRB( Higher; (OHRP) (VRNT) (CMTL) Lower (more...)
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Needham & Company maintained a Hold rating on Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) following the company's 3Q earnings report. NFLX is ramping up its owned content, both Series and Unscripted. In January of 2013, Ted Sarandos stated that: "The goal is to become HBO faster than HBO can become us."
Analyst Laura Martin commented, "NFLX beat revenue, subscriber guidance and estimates in 3Q16, but NFLX's programming pivot was the key story of 3Q16, in our view. Programming updates included: 1) Wholly-owned programming; 2) Unscripted (ie, reality) programming; 3) Local content; 4) 66% more content produced (from 600 hours in 2016 to 1,000 hours in 2017); and 5) Content budget of $6B (up 20% y/y, as expected) in 2017 vs total streaming content obligations of $14.4B at 9/30/16 implies a 2.5 year average contract length for licensed content. Although the pivot toward more owned programming hurts margins and FCF in the near term, we like the fact that NFLX is now building a content library. Tied to this, NFLX lowered its 2016 FCF estimate from negative $1.2B to $1.5B. We retain our HOLD rating."
Shares of Netflix closed at $99.80 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Tailored Brands (TLRD) Tops Q3 EPS by 13c
- Guggenheim Reiterates Buy on At Home Group (HOME) Following 3Q
- Goldman Sachs Sees 27% Upside in MercadoLibre (MELI) and Raises Rating to 'Buy'
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments
Related EntitiesNeedham & Company, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!