Morgan Stanley Cuts Juniper (JNPR) to Underweight on Concerns About Shrinking Partnerships, Underinvesting
- Futures flat as countdown to Trump's inauguration begins
- Netflix, Inc. (NFLX) Tops Q4 EPS by 1c; Subs Beat Views
- Apple (AAPL) PT Raised to $140 at BofA/Merrill Lynch; iPhone 8 Will be 'Super-Long' Cycle
- Morgan Stanley Upgrades Tesla Motors (TSLA) to Overweight
- Oil rallies from one-week low as IEA sees tighter market
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
(Updated - November 1, 2016 9:07 AM EDT)
Morgan Stanley downgraded Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR) from Equalweight to Underweight with a price target of $20.00 (from $24.00). Analyst James E Faucette highlighted shrinking partnerships and risks from underinvesting.
Faucette highlighted five reasons why he thinks shares are overvalued.
- "Lost partnerships leave JNPR to bear expected services margin headwind alone.
- Underinvesting in an overinvested industry elevates market share risk and pricing pressure.
- Transition to new product cycles likely difficult.
- Strategic optionality likely limited.
- Valuation implies low single-digit long-term earnings growth, which could be above the industry growth rate."
Expanding on his first point, the analyst said, "... we think technology providers will need to subsidize initial investments for carriers transitioning to allIP networks. Capital scarcity and negotiating leverage will pressure services margins, favoring vendors that leverage other technology providers' services arms. Cisco's partnership with Ericsson and Nokia's acquisition of Alcatel will force Juniper to bear the margin headwinds alone."
Morgan Stanley's bull case on the stock is $30, its base case is $20, and its bear case is $11.
Shares of Juniper Networks closed at $26.34 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Fastenal (FAST) PT Raised to $49 at Credit Suisse Following 4Q
- Netflix (NFLX) PT Raised to $150.00 at BMO Capital; Keeps 'Market Perform'
- Citi Downgrades US Steel (X) to Neutral
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, Analyst PT Change, Downgrades, Hot Comments, Hot Downgrades
Related EntitiesMorgan Stanley, Earnings, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!