Monsanto (MON) Risk is Priced in And Lower Than Market Thinks, Says JPMorgan; Rating Raised to 'Overweight'
- Oil steady around $50 on doubts over OPEC output cuts
- lululemon athletica (LULU) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Adj.-Comps Outpaced Views
- Costco Wholesale (COST) Tops Q1 EPS by 5c; Comps Up 1%, 2% Ex-Gas
- Universal Health (UHS) Disputes and Denies Conclusions in BuzzFeed Article
- Perrigo (PRGO) to Restructure BCH Omega Pharma Belgium Business; Will Terminate EuroGenerics Agreement
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Updated - September 21, 2016 8:35 AM EDT)
JPMorgan upgraded Monsanto (NYSE: MON) from Neutral to Overweight with a price target of $128. Despite regulatory hurdles for its deal with Bayer, analyst Jeffrey J. Zekauskas see more upside than downside in the stock. Overall, he thinks risk in the shares and is "less than what the market assumes."
"Monsanto shareholders would receive $128/sh should Bayer close its purchase of Monsanto. Arguably, it would seem that the price would decrease to $90, the price at which Monsanto traded before the market learned of Bayer’s bid in early May 2016, should the deal fail for regulatory reasons. The reward and risk is then $25 up and ($13) down or a 66% probability the deal is frustrated and a 34% chance that it succeeds. But we would look at the risk of the failure of the transaction differently," said Zekauskas.
"We think that Monsanto would earn roughly $5.00 per share in 2018 and would sell at roughly 20x earnings late in 2017 or $100/sh, given its high returns and consistent with its historical valuation, and at 12.1x EV/EBITDA. Many higher quality specialty chemical companies—Air Products, Praxair, PPG, Ecolab, for example—trade at similar valuation multiples. Accordingly, we are inclined to understand the risk in Monsanto shares as $100/sh and the reward at $128/sh. We think that Monsanto is appealing as an investment because the risk in the shares is, in the end, less than what the market assumes," added the analsyt.
Shares of Monsanto closed at $102.88 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Mizuho Securities Upgrades Lululemon Athletica Inc. (LULU) to Buy; Sees Upside Continuing
- JPMorgan Upgrades Hess Corp. (HES) to Overweight
- UPDATE: Seaport Global Securities Starts Beacon Roofing Supply (BECN) at Buy
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, Hot Upgrades, Mergers and Acquisitions, Upgrades
Related EntitiesJPMorgan, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!