Mizuho Securities Downgrades Twitter, Inc. (TWTR) to Underperform; Skeptical M&A Will Happen
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Mizuho Securities downgraded Twitter, Inc. (NYSE: TWTR) from Neutral to Underperform with a price target of $15.00 citing valuation after the recent run-up on M&A speculation.
Analyst Neil Doshi commented, "We are downgrading shares of TWTR to Underperform based on valuation. The stock is up ~45% since 2Q earnings, primarily driven by M&A comments in media reports. We are skeptical of these potential business combinations and believe that the stock is overvalued as business fundamentals have deteriorated significantly over the past 12 months. We are maintaining our $15 target price, which implies 9.5x '17 EV/EBITDA and 20x '17 Non-GAAP P/E."
Doshi said many of the M&A rumors are unlikely to play out, based on their analysis. "In our view, we would put Salesforce and Alphabet in the "maybe" camp, but have some reservations about these deals happening, and we believe that investors would view these transactions as negative for both companies," he said.
Meanwhile, core fundamentals continue to deteriorate. "U.S. ad revenue growth in 2Q was 18% YoY, well below GOOGL (25%) and FB (69%). Twitter's global MAU growth has been 3% over the past two quarters, well below LNKD and FB. Finally, it is unclear what impact live streaming sports will have on the business, especially as Google and Facebook push harder into live video."
Shares of Twitter, Inc. closed at $23.72 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Stifel Upgrades PayPal (PYPL) to Buy Following 'Solid' Q3 Results
- Twitter (TWTR) Shares Surge Higher in Late Trading
- RBC Capital Neutral on GE's (GE) Q3 Report, Outlook; Reaffirms at 'Outperform'
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Downgrades, Rumors
Related EntitiesTwitter, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!