Micron Technology (MU): Risk/Reward Played Out - Needham
- Noble Energy (NBL) to Acquire Clayton Williams Energy (CWEI) for $2.7B in Cash and Stock
- Nasdaq hits record; bank earnings validate Wall St. rally
- Intrawest Resorts (SNOW) Exploring a Possible Sale - Reuters
- Alibaba (BABA) Has No Plans to Acquire Rest of Groupon (GRPN) - Source
- Time (TIME) Said to Soon Begin Discussions with Interested Buyers - Bloomberg
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
Needham & Company analyst, Ravindra Gill, reiterated his Underperform rating on shares of Micron Technology (NASDAQ: MU) after the company positively preannounced 1Q17 results due to improved market conditions, predominantly the stabilization for the DRAM market.
The analyst admits that he underestimated positive stock price action due to the improving DRAM environment, but maintains his Underperform rating for two reasons:
1) unfavorable risk/reward with peak multiples
2) major levels of gross/net debt ($10B and $5B)
3) currently, the company is not cost competitive in 3D NAND
Compared to Samsung, MU is at least 2 yrs behind, and as a result of its high cost it is limited from playing in the fast-growing markets. The analyst is concerned that as Samsung transitions to 18nm, MU will again be at a cost disadvantage.
Shares of Micron Technology closed at $19.42 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Needham & Company Upgrades Magnachip Semiconductor (MX) to Buy
- UBS Reiterates Buy on Monster Beverage (MNST) After Meeting with Investors
- Wedbush Upgrades Tractor Supply Company (TSCO) to Outperform; Signs of Inflection
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Earnings
Related EntitiesNeedham & Company
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!