Micron Technology (MU): Risk/Reward Played Out - Needham
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Needham & Company analyst, Ravindra Gill, reiterated his Underperform rating on shares of Micron Technology (NASDAQ: MU) after the company positively preannounced 1Q17 results due to improved market conditions, predominantly the stabilization for the DRAM market.
The analyst admits that he underestimated positive stock price action due to the improving DRAM environment, but maintains his Underperform rating for two reasons:
1) unfavorable risk/reward with peak multiples
2) major levels of gross/net debt ($10B and $5B)
3) currently, the company is not cost competitive in 3D NAND
Compared to Samsung, MU is at least 2 yrs behind, and as a result of its high cost it is limited from playing in the fast-growing markets. The analyst is concerned that as Samsung transitions to 18nm, MU will again be at a cost disadvantage.
Shares of Micron Technology closed at $19.42 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Micron Technology (MU): Raising PT After Sizable Positive Preannouncement - UBS
- Drexel Hamilton Raises Price Target on Workday (WDAY) Following 3Q Beat
- Micron Technology (MU): Raising PT After Guidance Update - Susquehana
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Earnings
Related EntitiesNeedham & Company
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!