Maxim Group Starts Onconova Therapeutics (ONTX) at Buy
- Wall St. set to rise ahead of Trump inauguration
- General Electric (GE) Reports In-Line Q4 EPS
- Procter & Gamble (PG) Tops Q2 EPS by 2c
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Dollar recoups losses, caution sets in ahead of Trump inauguration
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
Maxim Group initiates coverage on Onconova Therapeutics (NASDAQ: ONTX) with a Buy rating and a price target of $6.00.
Analyst Jason McCarthy highlighted:
- Rigosertib is currently in a pivotal phase III study ("INSPIRE", N=225) for the treatment of high-risk MDS (Myelodysplastic Syndromes), a hematological malignancy resulting in bone marrow failure (data 2018).
- Third time's the charm. Rigosertib has been previously evaluated in two prior phase III studies which identified a sub-population in high-risk patients where the drug was highly effective (p=0.0008) - Overall Survival (OS). As such, we see a positive skew in the current pivotal trial. We note that the company, with >$25M in cash, is funded through data.
- The opportunity. 10,000 patients have high-risk MDS and essentially no options, thus a launch trajectory could be steep. SOC hypomethylating agents (HMAs) that fail cost $70K per patient. Pricing for Rigosertib would likely be higher, suggesting a significant market opportunity.
- Onconova is a value play for investors. With lessons learned, the company has de-risked the pivotal INSPIRE study with the right patient population and powering. Part of the novel design includes approval on OS in either of two populations embedded in a single trial: 1) a P-value in the ITT population, or 2) a P-value in the "very high risk" population. Either of which (or both, in the best case scenario) warrants approval.
- In addition, an oral formulation of Rigosertib in combination with SOC in the front-line setting has shown promising interim data and the complete data (near-term catalyst) is coming at ASH (December 2016), which sets the stage for a pivotal study, potentially starting in 1H17.
- Conclusion. Onconova is a phase III company trading at a "distressed" (~$10M) valuation. The disconnect between the disappointment over prior trial failures and the current intelligent trial design creates a great opportunity for data-centric biotechnology investors. The data and market opportunity (an unmet medical need) create a positive risk/reward scenario for investors.
Shares of Onconova Therapeutics closed at $3.27 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Ladenburg Thalmann Starts TC Pipelines (TCP) at Neutral
- Hilliard Lyons Upgrades Community Trust Bancorp (CTBI) to Neutral
- J.B. Hunt Transport Services (JBHT) PT Lowered to $99 at UBS Following 4Q EPS Miss
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot New Coverage, New Coverage
Related EntitiesMaxim Group
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!