Leerink Partners Assumes Ionis Pharmaceuticals (IONS) at Market Perform
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Leerink Partners assumes coverage on Ionis Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: IONS) with a Market Perform rating and a price target of $40.00.
Analyst Paul Matteis commented, "IONS is a leading biotechnology company in the antisense oligonucleotide (ASO)-based therapeutics space. On the positive side, we expect IONS investors (via royalties) to participate in what may be one of the most exciting drug launches of 2017 – nusinersen, partnered with BIIB [OP] for Type 1 and 2 spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). Moreover, we are positive on IONS's expanding neuro franchise, as we believe serious CNS disease represents an ideal area for antisense therapies: many of these indications are driven by simple, well understood genetics, and the central compartment is largely insulated from the immune system which allows for lower dosing, better safety and fewer side effects. Conversely, our neutral view on the stock is driven by counterbalancing caution surrounding not fully understood platelet count drops seen on key assets IONIS-TTRrx (TTR amyloidosis) and volanesorsen (FCS), as well as a generally more skeptical view on the size of the commercial opportunity for injectable antisense drugs in rare metabolic diseases. Trading at ~$40/share, we see the stock after recent strong performance as fairly valued: our PT is comprised of ~$14/shr for nusinersen, ~$3/shr for TTR, ~$4/share for volanesorsen, ~$17/share to the rest of the pipeline and ~$2/share to net cash."
Shares of Ionis Pharmaceuticals closed at $38.38 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Oppenheimer Starts Shopify (SHOP) at Perform
- Jefferies Raises Price Target on Zumiez, Inc. (ZUMZ) to $23 Following 3Q
- Seaport Global Securities Starts WGL Holdings (WGL) at Neutral
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, New Coverage
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!