L Brands (LB): Bralette Pricing Pressure Already In Stock, Get Ready For The Turnaround - Oppenheimer
- Wall Street falls as investors ready for Trump's inauguration
- IBM (IBM) Tops Q4 EPS by 13c, FY17 EPS Guidance Beats Consensus
- American Express (AXP) Misses Q4 EPS by 7c, FY17 EPS Guidance Tops Views at Mid-Poinit
- Skyworks Solutions (SWKS) Tops Q1 EPS by 3c, Offers Q2 Guidance, Announces Buyback
- After-Hours Stock Movers 01/19: (SWKS) (QRVO) (NVAX) Higher; (AFMD) (SGYP) (IBM) Lower (more...)
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
Oppenheimer analyst, Anna Andreeva, reiterated her Outperform rating on L Brands (NYSE: LB) and cited the company as her top turnaround pick for 2017. Since embarking on category/promo changes at Victoria's Secret in April, sales are better than the conservatively guided range but margins are worse, driven by category exit/trial events (in beauty/sport/lingerie). Estimated at 37% of sales ($2.9B or 23% of total LB mix), VS lingerie declined 3 months this year (including September), raising concerns about the company's ability to maintain dominant market share in this category.
VS's success since the '90s was partially predicated on push-up bras and innovation that followed. The new bralette trend represents first real new category since that time. While late to bralettes (March launch), given fast lead times (2-3 weeks < structured bras), VS is a player that matters.
The rise of bralettes, at ticket prices half those of bras, could translate to deflationary pressures industry-wide assuming some cannibalization for the 15-25 year old core customer. A one-for-one bralette/bra swap = 10% hit to VS bra sales annually.
With merchandise margins "down significantly" last two months, LB is running below guidance. However, better sales are driving improved leverage. Net/net, the analyst believes '16 estimates are likely intact, with potential for upside.
No change to the price target of $90.
Shares of L Brands closed at $71.16 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- L Brands (LB): Pricing and Margins Continue To Fall - Jefferies
- UPDATE: SunTrust Starts FLIR Systems, Inc. (FLIR) at Hold
- Plexus (PLXS) PT Raised to $57 at RBC Capital
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!