Kaufman Bros. Says RIM (RIMM) Addressing 2 Key BlackBerry Weaknesses: Touchscreen and Web Browser
- Personal Consumption, Private Investment Boost Revised Q2 GDP Results (SPY) (DIA) (QQQ)
- Dollar General (DG) Reports In-Line Q2 EPS; Remains Committed to Family Dollar (FDO) Deal
- Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (ANF) Tops Q2 EPS by 8c; Comps Fell 7%
- Signet Jewelers (SIG) Tops Q2 EPS by 1c; Updates FY15 EPS Outlook
- After-Hours Stock Movers 8/27: (CREG) (CCUR) (FEYE) Higher; (GOMO) (WSM) (GES) Lower (more...)
Analysts at Kaufman Bros. said that their checks indicate a new form factor and new web browser is under development for Research In Motion's (Nasdaq: RIMM) BlackBerry smartphone.
The firm said this addresss two of RIM's key weaknesses.
Kaufman said they are picking up strong indications of a new form factor under development that would be a cross between a touchscreen BlackBerry Storm 2 and a physical keyboard BlackBerry. They said, "from our understanding, this new BlackBerry would have a full touchscreen plus a pull-out physical keyboard. It would be similar to others from HTC, Palm, Motorola and others but of course sport a distinctive signature BlackBerry industrial design."
Kaufman said the BlackBerry web browser is arguably the weakest part of the BlackBerry experience even with the latest version. They suggest an upcoming future version is to be based on open-source WebKit technology originally developed by Apple and now used by Apple Safari, Google Chrome and Palm WebOS Browser. The other possibility we have heard is the ability to install a third-party browser like Google Chrome or even Microsoft Internet Explorer. They said, "regardless of what happens, we believe web browsing on a BlackBerry should get more competitive versus other platforms."
The firm is reiterate their Buy rating and $93 price target on RIMM.
Real-Time Market Moving News Two-Weeks FREE http://www.streetinsider.com/premium_content.php
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Scorpio Tankers (STNG) Said Considering MLP, Hires Advisor - Bloomberg
- Apple (AAPL) Could Deliver BIG at September Event with iWatch and 2 iPhone Models
- The Michaels Companies (MIK) Lifted to $24 at BofA/Merrill Lynch on Solid Q2 Results
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Insiders' Blog, Rumors
Related EntitiesKaufman Bros.
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!