Kaufman Bros. Says RIM (RIMM) Addressing 2 Key BlackBerry Weaknesses: Touchscreen and Web Browser
- Wall Street falls with financials, other post-election gainers
- The FTC Confirms Antitrust Charges Against Qualcomm (QCOM) for Monopolizing Semiconductor Device Used in Cell Phones
- United Airlines (UAL) Tops Q4 EPS by 5c
- Obama shortens sentence of Manning, who gave secrets to WikiLeaks
- After-Hours Stock Movers 01/17: (SHLO) Higher; (GIMO) (AFAM) (CSX) Lower (more...)
Analysts at Kaufman Bros. said that their checks indicate a new form factor and new web browser is under development for Research In Motion's (Nasdaq: RIMM) BlackBerry smartphone.
The firm said this addresss two of RIM's key weaknesses.
Kaufman said they are picking up strong indications of a new form factor under development that would be a cross between a touchscreen BlackBerry Storm 2 and a physical keyboard BlackBerry. They said, "from our understanding, this new BlackBerry would have a full touchscreen plus a pull-out physical keyboard. It would be similar to others from HTC, Palm, Motorola and others but of course sport a distinctive signature BlackBerry industrial design."
Kaufman said the BlackBerry web browser is arguably the weakest part of the BlackBerry experience even with the latest version. They suggest an upcoming future version is to be based on open-source WebKit technology originally developed by Apple and now used by Apple Safari, Google Chrome and Palm WebOS Browser. The other possibility we have heard is the ability to install a third-party browser like Google Chrome or even Microsoft Internet Explorer. They said, "regardless of what happens, we believe web browsing on a BlackBerry should get more competitive versus other platforms."
The firm is reiterate their Buy rating and $93 price target on RIMM.
Real-Time Market Moving News Two-Weeks FREE http://www.streetinsider.com/premium_content.php
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: JPMorgan Downgrades OneMain (OMF) to Neutral
- Deutsche Bank Starts Bruker (BRKR) at Hold
- Deutsche Bank Starts Danaher (DHR) at Buy
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Insiders' Blog, Rumors
Related EntitiesKaufman Bros.
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!