Jefferies Downgrades Biogen (BIIB) to Hold; Thesis Nearly Played Out
- Noble Energy (NBL) to Acquire Clayton Williams Energy (CWEI) for $2.7B in Cash and Stock
- Nasdaq hits record; bank earnings validate Wall St. rally
- Intrawest Resorts (SNOW) Exploring a Possible Sale - Reuters
- Alibaba (BABA) Has No Plans to Acquire Rest of Groupon (GRPN) - Source
- Time (TIME) Said to Soon Begin Discussions with Interested Buyers - Bloomberg
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
Jefferies downgraded Biogen (NASDAQ: BIIB) from Buy to Hold but raises its price target to $323.00, on valuation as their thesis has mostly played out and with shares now better reflecting the balance of fundamentals.
Analyst Brian Abrahams commented, "We are downgrading BIIB primarily based on valuation, as our thesis on the company has generally played out. While a takeover at a premium is still possible, potential likelihood and timing are difficult to predict, and some M&A expectation may already be incorporated in the share price. We believe current valuation, after having appreciated 40% in the past ~2mo, now better reflects the favorable fundamentals -- potential medium-term cash flows from their stabilizing MS franchise and improving operating leverage, nucinerin's recent success, last week's additional supportive aducanumab titration data in Alzheimer's, and the potential for favorable near-term IP developments -- balanced by long-term headwinds of competition, slowing growth, and need for diversification. Based on an increase in our estimated probability of success for aducanumab (to 60% from 45%) stemming from additional data last week, our DCF-based price target increases to $323; nonetheless, at current levels, we see less compelling upside opportunity vs. certain other large-caps, though we acknowledge M&A speculation may help provide a floor."
Shares of Biogen closed at $313.59 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- DA Davidson Downgrades Inventure Foods (SNAK) to Neutral, Predicts Company Won't Exist In Current Form Come June 2017
- Wedbush Raises Price Target on Wolverine World Wide (WWW) After Meeting with Management
- UPDATE: RBC Capital Upgrades Colfax Corporation (CFX) to Outperform
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst PT Change, Downgrades
Related EntitiesJefferies & Co
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!