J. C. Penney (JCP) Results Solid But Analyst Concerned of Possible Slowdown; Deutsche Bank Comments Following Q2 Print
- Intel (INTC) Tops Q3 EPS by 5c; Q4 Revenue Guidance Comes in Slightly Below Views
- JPMorgan (JPM) Misses Q3 EPS by 9c
- Market Wrap: Job Cuts Aplenty at Twitter; Intel Tops Q3 Expectations; Analysts Get Bearish on GoPro
- Sandisk Corp. (SNDK) said working with banker to explore sale - Bloomberg
- Analysts Not Impressed by Twitter's (TWTR) Cost Cutting
Deutsche Bank maintained a Hold rating on J. C. Penney (NYSE: JCP) with a price target of $10. 2014 EPS estimated were raised to -1.99 vs -2.51 prior. Analyst Paul Trussell said Q2 performance was strong, but he is concerned of a potential slowdown.
"JCP showed solid trends in its 2Q print, with SSS of 6.0%, a 650 bps improvement YOY in Gross Profit Margins to 36.0%, and strong SG&A control - as SG&A $ were actually down ~6% YOY. Also impressive, JCP produced $90M in EBITDA (its best showing since 2Q12) and the company generated positive FCF of $76M as well. With SSS in the last week of July up double-digits, there is seemingly solid momentum in JCPenney’s business," said Trussell.
"3Q guidance raised an eyebrow for us as SSS are expected to maintain their current growth level despite tougher compares (by 710 bps), GPM is not expected to experience sequential improvement (following a ~300 bps gain from 1Q to 2Q), and SG&A expenses are expected to rise in the back half with higher advertising spending and the first incentive payouts in some time. With the sustainability of the 2Q trends in question, we remain on the sidelines and await execution against tough compares or a compelling strategic plan outlined in October at the investor day. At $10, we believe the stock is fairly valued discounting back 8.0x our 2016 EBITDA estimate of $901M," he added.
Shares of J. C. Penney closed at $9.74 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Piper Jaffray Downgrades GoPro (GPRO) to Neutral Following Latest Teen Survey
- Nomura Securities Raises Price Target on Netflix (NFLX) Ahead of 3Q15 Earnings
- JPMorgan Cuts Peabody Energy (BTU) and Arch Coal (ACI) to Underweight
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS Change, Analyst EPS View, Retail Sales
Related EntitiesDeutsche Bank
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!