Height Securities Highlights SandDisk Patent Risk at Western Digital (WDC)
- Wall St. gains across sectors ahead of Trump inauguration
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Herbalife (HLF) Says SEC Requested Documents on Anti-Corruption Compliance in China; Reviewed with DoJ
- Investment Focus: History suggests Trump month will be stocks down, dollar up
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Height Securities highlighted legacy patent risk at Western Digital (NYSE: WDC) related to its recent purchase of SanDisk. A patent cross-licensing and production agreement with Samsung expires on August 14, 2016 and there are no signs that another agreement will be replacing the lapsed agreement. This poses "significant risk" to the accretive value of the SanDisk business lines, if left unchecked, analyst Nils Tracy said.
Tracy commented: "SanDisk holds many of the foundational planer NAND patents. These patents have given SanDisk a competitive advantage through the existence of NAND technology. This patent dominance and a series of litigation resulted in the company entering a licensing agreement with its primary competitor, Samsung. The agreement was designed to end years of ongoing patent litigation and had little to do with the operational value of the patents, as Samsung already had similar technology. The agreement represents at least 9.29% of SanDisk revenue and an undisclosed value in reduced COGS as well as reduced litigation expenses. according to Bloomberg. The patent cross-licensing and production agreement expires on August 14, 2016. There are no signs that another agreement will be replacing the lapsed agreement. This poses significant risk to the accretive value of the SanDisk business lines, if left unchecked."
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- JPMorgan Cuts Teva Pharma (TEVA) to Neutral Amid Challenging Generic Environment
- Signet Jewelers (SIG) May Be Close To Selling Credit Business, Likely Positive For Stock - Northcoast Research
- UPDATE: Benchmark Starts Cross Country Healthcare (CCRN) at Buy
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!