Great 2016 for SMID-Cap May Leave Hangover in 2017 - Jefferies (IWM)
- Wall Street lower as oil snaps four-day rally
- Equinix (EQIX) Announces $3.6B Acquisition of Data Center Portfolio from Verzion (VZ)
- Deal Progress Said to Slow as Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Puts Actelion (ALIOY) Under Microscope - Source
- Trump Wants to Cancel New Air Force One Order with Boeing (BA)
- Roper Industries (ROP) to acquire Deltek in $2.8B Deal
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
Jefferies released its equity strategy surrounding SMID-Caps. 2016 has been a strong year for the segment, with the Russell 2000 making new all-time highs every day. The equity strategist at Jefferies believe that 2017 has the potential to be another great year for small caps. However, with an expected hangover in the 1H, 2017 could also be challenging.
Jefferies strategist Steven DeSanctis commented, "A Trump presidency will turn 2017's forecasts on their heads, as most investors are not sure what to expect from the President elect. However, the simple thing for us is that the Russell 2000 now trades at over 20x forward estimates and is back to levels not seen since 2001."
There is a way that things can go really right for small caps boosting performance. If companies feel comfortable with the fiscal policies and pick up spending, this can help boost GDP. Small caps thrive on better GDP growth and will see a pick up of earnings and sales growth.
DeSanctis continued, "If the great rotation is upon us with money coming out of bond funds and into equity funds, coupled with the fact that there are very few stocks left in the US, this could continue the 2016 momentum."
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- AutoZone (AZO) Tops Q1 EPS by 5c; Comps Light of Views
- Wedbush Raises Price Target on Regions Financial (RF) to $15; Reiterates Outperform
- Karyopharm Therapeutics (KPTI): ASH Data Reinforces selinexor Opportunity - Jefferies
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, ETFs
Related EntitiesJefferies & Co, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!