Goldman Sachs Sees 27% Upside in SLM Corp. (SLM) and Adds Stock to Conviction Buy List
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street off day's best levels after Trump inaugural speech
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Herbalife (HLF) Says SEC Requested Documents on Anti-Corruption Compliance in China; Reviewed with DoJ
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Updated - August 10, 2016 8:50 AM EDT)
Goldman Sachs maintained its Buy rating on SLM Corp. (NASDAQ: SLM) and added the stock to its Conviction Buy List. The price target was unchanged at $9, implying upside of 27%. Analyst Eric Beardsley thinks SLM's high visibility revenue growth deserves a significantly higher multiple.
"We add Buy-rated SLM to the Americas Conviction List as we believe it offers the best risk-adjusted return potential in our Specialty Finance coverage universe (26% upside vs. 15% median) given high visibility into its 20%+ EPS CAGR and 15%+ ROE," said Beardsley. "Following 2Q results, we have incremental confidence in SLM’s earnings growth as (1) charge-off trends were betterthan-expected (up only 10 bp q/q despite annual peak – 13% below our estimate), while conservative reserve guidance also lowers the bar for 2H results, and (2) SLM’s first-ever CFPB review was positive with no action items for the company, reducing the tail risk of unanticipated opex growth."
Discussing catalysts, the analyst said, "Moving forward, we see continued opportunity for SLM to re-rate higher as (1) 3Q is the seasonal peak for originations and could re-focus investors on SLM’s growth story (in addition to providing further confidence in the credit outlook); (2) political risks appear to be more noise than news and could fade following the election; and (3) SLM has under-appreciated asset sensitivity, in our view, as earnings should benefit if 1M LIBOR rises, but unlike other banks, it faces no margin pressure in a ‘lower-for-longer’ world due to limited competition in private student lending."
Shares of SLM Corp. closed at $7.09 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- BofA/Merrill Lynch Upgrades CF Industries (CF) to Buy, Says "Consensus Estimates Now Beatable"
- Procter & Gamble (PG) Tops Q2 EPS by 2c
- Skyworks Solutions (SWKS) PT Raised to $96 at Canaccord Genuity
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot Comments, Upgrades
Related EntitiesGoldman Sachs Conviction Buy List, Goldman Sachs, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!