Goldman Sachs Downgrades The Fresh Market (TFM) to Sell; Analyst Catious on Competition and Inflation
- Market Wrap: Nasdaq Back to 'Dot-Com' Highs; Gross Gets Real on Rates; Merger Monday!
- NXP Semi (NXPI) and Freescale Semi (FSL) to Merge in $40 Billion Deal
- After-Hours Stock Movers 03/02: (MDR) (XON) (OCN) Higher; (LAYN) (CZR) (MYL) Lower (more...)
- Ocwen Financial (OCN) Announces Items Affecting Q4 Results; Updates on FY15 Asset Sales, Liquidity Improvement Plans
- Palo Alto Networks (PANW) Tops Q2 EPS by 2c; Issues Solid Outlook
Goldman Sachs downgraded The Fresh Market (NASDAQ: TFM) from Neutral to Sell with a price target of $27.00 (from $36.00). Analyst Stephen Grambling noted headwinds from competition and inflation were near and long-term headwinds.
"We downgrade shares of TFM to Sell from Neutral with 18% downside to our $27, 12-month price target vs. 4% average upside for our coverage. The bottom-line is TFM is operating in a more competitive environment for specialty grocers that we expect will cap the top line and pressure margins long term. In the near term, TFM is also facing incremental headwinds from the Affordable Care Act and protein inflation which we expect will drive earnings below guidance," said Grambling.
"We expect a combination of downward earnings revisions and valuation rerating to drive 18% downside to our price target. We forecast an 11% EPS CAGR over the next three years driven by 3.5% comp growth and 55bp of cumulative EBIT margin pressure from gross margin compression and SG&A deleverage. Our cautious view is predicated on the following factors," continued the analyst.
"Downward revisions – We expect margin pressure due to food inflation, competition and SG&A deleverage will offset re-accelerating comps near term. Our FY14 EPS of $1.54 is below management guidance of $1.56-$1.66.
"Competition caps margin – We believe TFM’s 7%+ EBIT margins are overearning due to a combination of elevated merchandise margins relative to peers and potentially unsustainably low direct store expenses per sq. ft.
"Re-rating – We expect a re-rating of the shares to 15x NTM EPS or 1.4X PEG, a slight discount to double-digit sq. ft. growth retail peers."
Shares of The Fresh Market closed at $32.67 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Nabors Industries (NBR) Posts Q4 GAAP Loss of $3.06/Share
- Mylan (MYL) Reports In-Line Q4 EPS; Guides FY15
- Deutsche Bank Downgrades Freescale Semiconductor (FSL) to Hold
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, Downgrades, Hot Downgrades
Related EntitiesGoldman Sachs, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!