Goldman Sachs Adds Johnson Controls (JCI) to Conviction Buy List
- Noble Energy (NBL) to Acquire Clayton Williams Energy (CWEI) for $2.7B in Cash and Stock
- Nasdaq hits record; bank earnings validate Wall St. rally
- Intrawest Resorts (SNOW) Exploring a Possible Sale - Reuters
- Alibaba (BABA) Has No Plans to Acquire Rest of Groupon (GRPN) - Source
- Time (TIME) Said to Soon Begin Discussions with Interested Buyers - Bloomberg
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Updated - November 1, 2016 8:59 AM EDT)
Goldman Sachs upgraded Johnson Controls (NYSE: JCI) from Buy to Conviction Buy with a price target of $46, implying upside of 14%. Analyst Joe Ritchie thinks shares are underappreciated.
"...we see JCI as a franchise with improving fundamentals, cost savings that should support the majority of EBIT growth, and a reasonable valuation that belies its top quartile EPS/EBIT growth and a world-class auto battery business. After a 3Q EPS season where growth stabilization remains scarce, JCI stands out as a self-help story with inexpensive valuation, and we are more confident that cost savings can support most of our LDD segment EBIT CAGR over the next three years," said Ritchie.
Discussing catalysts, the analyst said, "From our conversations with investors since initiating on JCI, we believe several aspects of the shares are underappreciated: (1) Power Solutions is not an auto OE business — and should not trade like one. The battery business is three-fourths aftermarket, JCI has dominant share in both traditional SLI/newer AGMs (36%/70% global share), and its high-teens EBIT margins far outpace battery peers’ low-teens EBIT margins; (2) Organic growth could drive upside to numbers. Three-fourths of our LDD segment EBIT CAGR is fueled by synergies from the TYC merger, so better organic incrementals could drive upside; (3) Valuation looks even more reasonable with cost savings. We estimate the company’s targeted $900mn of cost savings has a PV of ~$0.65-$0.70/share, implying that JCI is trading at ~12.5x our FY17E EPS plus PV of synergies (vs. Multis: 17.5x)."
Shares of Johnson Controls closed at $40.32 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Goldman Sachs Upgrades Yum China Holdings (YUMC) to Buy, Sees Selloff As Buying Opportunity Ahead Of Q4 Report
- Wedbush Upgrades Tractor Supply Company (TSCO) to Outperform; Signs of Inflection
- Mizuho Positive On Noble Eneergy (NBL) Acquistion Of Claytom Williams (CWEI)
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, Upgrades
Related EntitiesGoldman Sachs Conviction Buy List, Goldman Sachs, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!