Gilead Sciences (GILD): Trial Suspension Impacts Sentiment More Than Revenue - Leerink
- Wall Street propped up by tech, discretionary stocks
- Boston Scientific (BSX) to Acquire EndoChoice (GI) in ~$210M Deal
- Oil prices fall as hopes for a deal in Algiers fade
- Dollar gains against euro on Deutsche Bank fears, falls vs Mexican peso
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 09/27: (GI) (KITE) (INFI) Higher; (NAT) (SXL) (RICE) Lower (more...)
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Leerink Partners analyst, Geoffrey Porges, reiterated his Outperform rating on shares of Gilead Sciences (NASDAQ: GILD) after the company announced the suspension of its phase 2/3 for GS-5745. This is GILD's anti-matrix metalloproteinase 9 (MMP9) anti-body for the treatment of ulcerative colitis (UC). The company made this decision after the data monitoring committee recommended termination, with the treatment failing to demonstrate any signal of efficacy in an 8-week induction interim analysis of the first 150 patients from a 1,600-patient phase III trial.
The company noted it is proceeding with its ongoing phase 3 in gastric cancer (primary completion date January 2019); another phase 2 in gastric cancer with nivolumab (September 2018); and phase 2 trials in Crohn’s (October 2016), rheumatoid arthritis (March 2018), and cystic fibrosis (December 2018).
The analyst views other MMP9 trials as risky. There is little revenue downside but they represent a blow to R&D prospects as well as investor sentiment. No change to the price target of $112.
Shares of Gilead Sciences closed at $81.70 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Leerink Partners Downgrades Gilead Sciences (GILD) to Market Perform
- Stifel Raises Price Target on SYNNEX Corp. (SNX) to $104 Following 3Q Beat and Raise
- Goldman Sachs Thinks Lilly (LLY) is Compelling With or Without Potential Blockbuster AD Drug Sola; Analyst Raises Rating to 'Buy'
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, FDA
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!