Gap (GPS) April Sales Could See Upside on Holiday Shift; Stifel Maintains 'Buy' Rating
- Deere & Co. (DE) Posts Q2 EPS of $2.03; Lowers Equipment Sales Outlook for FY15
- Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) Tops Q2 EPS by 1c; Guides Q3 EPS to Low-Side of Expectations
- Foot Locker (FL) Tops Q1 EPS by 7c
- Netflix (NFLX) PT Boosted to $700 by RBC Capital's Mahaney
- Nokia (NOK) CEO Suri: We're in no Rush to Sell HERE Maps Unit
Stifel maintains its Buy rating and $48 target price on Gap, Inc. (NYSE: GPS) following March sales results issued Thursday night. The retailer reported net sales of $1.51 billion for the five-week period ended April 5, 2014, and comparable sales for March 2014 were down 6 percent versus a 1 percent decrease last year.
Analyst Richard Jaffe was looking for a 4 percent drop in comps for March, while the Street consensus was calling fora 3.3 percent dip. The analyst said,
we anticipate that April sales will benefit from the Easter shift with comp sales improving 2-3%. Management indicated that gross margins in 1Q will be below the prior year by more than the y/y decline in 4Q:13 (greater than a 280 bps decline). This is due to the severe storms that resulted in many store closures in February, which pressured sales and contributed to the already elevated inventory levels entering 1Q (significantly above sales growth and LY). The margin erosion suggests that management is taking aggressive steps to drive sales and bring inventories down. On a positive note, the company indicated it is tightly managing expenses and anticipates expense growth to be flat y/y in 1Q and inventory to be flat y/y by the end of 2Q.
Jaffe sees better inventory management happening in back-half 2014 due to Gap's supply chain initiatives.
We also anticipate an improvement in traffic when better weather arrives. SG&A levels will likely continue to be tightly managed. We would be buyers of shares in weakness. The company’s continued focus on improving their sourcing efforts, enhancing the omnichannel shopping experience and offering trend-right assortment is anticipated to drive comp gains long term, Jaffe said.
Shares of Gap, Inc. closed at $39.29 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Gap (GPS) Q1 Results Flat with Expectations; Merchandising Continues to Hamper Overall Results - Stifel
- RBC Capital maintains Outperform on Booz Allen Hamilton (BAH); Says 4Q15 Was a Rare Miss
- Aeropostale (ARO) PT, Estimates Cut at Janney Capital Amid Weak Results and Guidance
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Retail Sales
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!