GameStop (GME): Amazon's Twitch Announcement To Have Little Impact - Baird
- Record-setting rally pushes on as S&P ends week up 3 percent
- Trump's Cohn Pick Most Bullish Sign Yet for Banks - Cowen
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers: (IDXG) (INVN) (EBS) Higher; (SCON) (DTEA) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
- 21st Century Fox (FOXA) offers to acquire Sky for GBP10.75/share
- Coca Cola (KO) Announces James Quincey to Succeed Muhtar Kent as CEO; Kent to Continue as Chairman
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Baird analyst, Colin Sebastian, reiterated his Outperform rating on shares of GameStop (NYSE: GME) along with a price target of $40 after Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) announced "Twitch Prime," an extension of Prime membership with enticements for the gamer market.
New Twitch Prime members (as well as current Amazon Prime members) will have access to digital downloads and in-game loot from popular Twitch games (skins, new characters, etc.), and access to Twitch's monthly streaming service (plus one premium channel). Prime members will also continue to receive exclusive discounts on newly-released games, in addition to free release-day delivery on pre-ordered titles. This move should help Amazon increase its share within the broader gamer market and also seeks to increase Prime adoption into younger audiences.
Amazon has disrupted many retail business models but GameStop has increased its US hardware + software market share over the last five years (~25% in FY10 vs. ~35% in FY15). The analyst believes the company's "PowerUp" rewards program (46M members globally, 1 in 5 US households) and buy/sell/trade model create a defensible competitive moat for GameStop. He expects modest, if any, impact from Amazon's new initiative for Gamestop but Walmart and BestBuy may lose more category share.
Shares of GameStop closed at $27.59 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Baird Raises Price Target on Itron (ITRI) to $73 After Meeting with Management
- UBS Cuts Price Target on Restoration Hardware (RH) to $34 Following 3Q
- FBR Capital Raises Price Target on Methode Electronics (MEI) Following Better Than Expected 2Q
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments
Related EntitiesRobert W Baird
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!