Freeport-McMoRan (FCX) PT Raised to $18 at UBS on Copper Outlook, But Grasberg Risk Remains
- Noble Energy (NBL) to Acquire Clayton Williams Energy (CWEI) for $2.7B in Cash and Stock
- Nasdaq hits record; bank earnings validate Wall St. rally
- Intrawest Resorts (SNOW) Exploring a Possible Sale - Reuters
- Alibaba (BABA) Has No Plans to Acquire Rest of Groupon (GRPN) - Source
- Time (TIME) Said to Soon Begin Discussions with Interested Buyers - Bloomberg
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
UBS analyst Andreas Bokkenheuser raised its price target on Freeport-McMoRan (NYSE: FCX) to $18.00 (from $11.00) but maintained a Neutral rating. The analyst notes the copper outlook improves, but Grasberg uncertainly remains.
The firm upgrades it 2017-18 copper price from US$2.30/lb and US$2.60/lb to US$3.00/lb and US$3.25/lb respectively.
Bokkenheuser comments, "Collectively the copper industry has moved from a growth or volume footing in 2012-14 towards a value or cost out focus now. We think there is an ongoing focus from companies to reduce headcount, squeeze suppliers and lift efficiencies. But offsetting this, oil and producer currency moves are potentially reintroducing inflation"
That said, the analyst notes Grasberg downside remains a risk. "The market continues to assume a small contract delay at the Grasberg mine and possibly a divestment discount to fair market value, in our view. This is one of five primary Grasberg scenarios of different likelihood. Among the most likely, the best case values Freeport at close to ~US$14/share. The best case remains the basis of our valuation due to ongoing (albeit slow) negotiation progress. The worst case scenario has 40% downside risk assuming full divestment at replacement value, but is also the least likely outcome."
Shares of Freeport-McMoRan closed at $15.35 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Photronics, Inc. (PLAB): Raising PT - UBS
- Oppenheimer Cuts Price Target on Expedia (EXPE) to $145; Reiterates Outperform
- Wedbush Raises Price Target on Columbia Sportswear (COLM) to $72; Reiterates Outperform
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst PT Change, Commodities
Related EntitiesUBS, Layoffs
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!