FBR Capital Downgrades Canadian Solar (CSIQ) to Market Perform; Sees Weaker Margins
- Wall Street falls as post-election winners lag
- The FTC Confirms Antitrust Charges Against Qualcomm (QCOM) for Monopolizing Semiconductor Device Used in Cell Phones
- United Airlines (UAL) Tops Q4 EPS by 5c
- BAT Reaches Deal to Acquire Reynolds American (RAI) for $49 Billion
- Deutsche Bank (DB) Agrees to Pay $7.2B for Misleading Investors in Sale of RMBS
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
FBR Capital downgraded Canadian Solar (NASDAQ: CSIQ) from Outperform to Market Perform with a price target of $12.00 (from $23.00), saying manufacturing issues and timing on project sales to clip margins.
Analyst Carter Driscoll commented, "CSIQ delivered a decent 3Q16 despite a weak solar market. However, not surprisingly, CSIQ lowered 2016 guidance on higher-than-expected pricing pressure. Surprisingly, module volumes are constrained by manufacturing issues. CSIQ's new 850 MW cell plant in Southeast Asia will take at least another quarter to build, forcing CSIQ to source more material from third parties and negatively impacting margins. In addition, CSIQ's existing 1 GW cell plant, damaged by a tornado in June 2016, will not be fully back on line until April. CSIQ again stated it is committed to recycling cash and de-levering by selling operating assets in Canada and China but hedged the timing between 4Q16 and 1Q17. It is also less clear when the company will sell its U.S. operating plants, which would help offset core module sales. We have lowered our rating to Market Perform and our price target to $12 from $23. We acknowledge that ramping project sales could be a catalyst, but we prefer to wait and see both the pace and ultimate sales price before we are comfortable saying the worst of the downturn is over."
Shares of Canadian Solar closed at $10.68 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: JPMorgan Downgrades OneMain (OMF) to Neutral
- Wedbush Raises Price Target on Trex (TREX) to $58; Reiterates Neutral
- FBR Capital Remains Bullish on JPMorgan (JPM) Following 4Q EPS Beat
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS Change, Analyst EPS View, Analyst PT Change, Downgrades
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!