FBR Capital Downgrades Ascena Retail Group (ASNA) to Market Perform
- Wall St. stock futures fall after Italy referendum
- Oil tops $55 for first time in 16 months as OPEC deal fuels buying
- Consolidated Communications (CNSL) to Acquire FairPoint Communications (FRP) in $1.5B Deal
- Burberry rejects multiple takeover offers from Coach: Financial Times
- Trump picks ex-rival Carson to head housing department
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
FBR Capital downgraded Ascena Retail Group (NASDAQ: ASNA) from Outperform to Market Perform with a price target of $7.00 (from $15.00) following disappointing results and outlook.
Analyst Susan Anderson commented, "ASNA reported an adjusted F4Q16 EPS miss of $0.08 (versus FBR/consensus of $0.17/$0.16 and implied guidance of $0.15–$0.18), driven by worse SSS and expense de-leverage. Justice continued to inflect with a –4% SSS (versus –11% in F3Q16 and an EBITDA margin up +846 bps). However, deterioration at dressbarn and Maurices offset Justice's margin benefit. Our Outperform rating was based on ASNA's ability to achieve at least ~$800M in EBITDA by FY18, which now does not appear feasible. As a result, we lower our rating to Market Perform and our price target to $7.00, from $15.00. Due to continued negative traffic trends/sales, ASNA guided 1Q/FY17 adjusted EPS well below consensus, to $0.16–$0.21/$0.60–$0.65 (versus FBR/consensus of $0.37/$0.38, $0.76/$0.83, and $0.36 and $0.60 in FY16, respectively). We like ASNA for the significant low-hanging-fruit opportunity; but management's goal of $1B EBITDA by FY18 is based on better traffic/SSS trends, which now do not appear achievable. Additionally, we believe ASNA's heavy store base will continue to weigh on expense leverage. (It takes time to right-size.) It appears that turns at dressbarn and Maurices are quarters away, which will also offset any Justice/synergy benefits."
Shares of Ascena Retail Group closed at $8.12 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Credit Suisse Upgrades National Beverage (FIZZ) to Outperform
- Credit Suisse Upgrades HollyFrontier (HFC) to Outperform
- Kite Pharma (KITE): Novartis ASH Data Looks Similar To KITE's - Stifel
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS Change, Analyst EPS View, Analyst PT Change, Downgrades
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!