FBR Capital Cuts Price Target on Nike (NKE) Following 1Q Report
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
FBR Capital maintained a Market Perform rating on Nike (NYSE: NKE), and cut the price target to $55.00 (from $63.00), following the company's 1Q earnings report. NKE reported EPS of $0.73, ahead of the consensus estimate of $0.58. Results were driven by a one-time tax benefit. GM was below expectations, driven by FX headwinds, an expense shift, the impact of exiting the Golf equipment business, and off-price/clearance sales, partially offset by higher ASPs.
Analyst Susan Anderson commented, "NIKE reported F1Q17 EPS of $0.73, vs. FBR/consensus of $0.57/$0.58, reflecting a one-time tax benefit (~13 cents), incremental share repurchases (~1 cent), and better-than-expected revenue growth and operating overhead expense. Management reiterated FY EPS guidance of +LT growth, which now includes the 1Q tax benefit and allows for NA weakness and margin contraction. Futures were reported below expectations with currency-neutral September to January global futures of +7% (vs. consensus of +8.3%). NA futures of +1% were well below consensus of +4.4%. Management noted that the correlation between futures orders and revenue growth has declined due to an evolving business mix. As a result, futures will no longer be reported in EPS press releases; however, they will be referenced in the guidance and reported in the quarterly SEC filings. We like Nike's innovation pipeline, int'l runway, and LT margin catalysts, but we remain on the sidelines and look for improved NA and margin execution, and lower inventory growth. We maintain our Market Perform rating and lower our PT to $55 from $63."
Shares of Nike closed at $55.34 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- NYSE to Suspend Trading in MGT Capital Investments (MGT); Will Move to Delist
- PayPal (PYPL) PT Raised to $47 at Credit Suisse; Results Just 'Ok' But Visability Increases Conviction
- Imperial Capital Raises Price Target on American Airlines (AAL) Following 3Q EPS Beat
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS Change, Analyst EPS View, Analyst PT Change
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!