Eli Lilly Sola Failure is a 'Serious Blow' to Biogen (BIIB) and Others in AD Field - Leerink
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street off day's best levels after Trump inaugural speech
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Herbalife (HLF) Says SEC Requested Documents on Anti-Corruption Compliance in China; Reviewed with DoJ
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
Leerink Partners analyst Geoffrey Porges weighed in on Biogen (NASDAQ: BIIB) after Eli Lilly (NYSE: LLY) announced that the solanezumab (sola) phase III trial in patients with mild Alzheimer’s disease failed to meet statistical significance on the primary endpoint and only showed modest trends on the secondary endpoints.
Porges said for Biogen and other companies in the Alzheimer’s field, this is a serious blow.
"We expect Biogen’s stock to be down materially today, and estimate that if 100% of the value of aducanumab was removed from Biogen’s valuation in our model, the stock would be reduced in value by $37, or ~10%," he commented. "If the probability of success of aducanumab is reduced to 35% (from the 65% today in our model) then the change in stock price will be $8, or ~3%."
"Biogen’s phase Ib trial showed more robust effects than any trial with solanezumab, and the phase III trial has a different patient population (milder disease), more rigorous confirmation of amyloid and uses a much higher dose of antibody and different endpoints," he added.
"We believe investors will not completely discount the value of aducanumab, at least after the CtaD presentations and discussions. For our own part, we will evaluate our model and probability of success and consider whether we should adjust our valuation as well."
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Stocks with call price movement; BIIB TDG
- Checkpoint Software (CHKP) PT Raised to $94 at Stifel Following 4Q Beat
- BTIG Says Synergy's (SGYP) Trulance Low Incidence of Side Effects the Key Differentiator
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, FDA, Trader Talk
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!