Edwards Lifesciences (EW) Valtech Deal a 'Headscratcher' - Northland Capital Markets
- Wall Street falls with financials, other post-election gainers
- The FTC Confirms Antitrust Charges Against Qualcomm (QCOM) for Monopolizing Semiconductor Device Used in Cell Phones
- United Airlines (UAL) Tops Q4 EPS by 5c
- Obama shortens sentence of Manning, who gave secrets to WikiLeaks
- After-Hours Stock Movers 01/17: (SHLO) Higher; (GIMO) (AFAM) (CSX) Lower (more...)
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Northland Capital Markets analyst Suraj Kalia weighed in on Edwards Lifesciences (NYSE: EW) announced this morning the acquisition of Israel based Valtech Cardio, a transcatheter mitral repair company. The analyst called the deal a "headscratcher."
"If the name Valtech sounds familiar, it should, cause Heartware tried to acquire it in 2015 (the deal though, fell apart). Edwards acquiring Valtech for $700M, in our view, is a headscratcher." Kalia commented. "While we understand the desire to branch out into complementary technologies in the mitral space, we harbor fundamental doubts about Valtech, especially at this price."
Kalia added, "The biggest problem with mitral repair remains lack of durability. Recently announced 24-month data on Valtech's Cardioband annuloplasty system from the CE study had headline data showing 92% of patients with MR ≤2+ grade @ 24-months. The problem with this is only 12 patients out of the original 61 were followed to 24-mths. Procedural success in the study was only 86% (defined as only an MR grade reduction of 1+). At 24-months, the 6MWT was not statistically significant, while the MLHFQ and NYHA changes were significant (on a much smaller sample size). A-P diameter reduced by 30%."
The firm maintained an Outperform rating and price target of $105 on EW.
Shares of Edwards Lifesciences closed at $85.80 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Bats Global Market (BATS) Stockholders Approve Merger Agreement with CBOE (CBOE)
- Deutsche Bank Starts Danaher (DHR) at Buy
- Apivio Systems Inc. Board of Directors responds to unsolicited offer from Nuri Telecom
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!