Deutsche Bank Downgrades Sprouts Farmers Market (SFM) to Hold
- Stocks dip as earnings pour in, consumer discretionary lags
- UPDATE: Alphabet (GOOG) Tops Q3 EPS Views; Revs Strong
- Baker Hughes (BHI), General Electric (GE) in Partnership Talks, Not Merger Talks
- Cirrus Logic, Inc. (CRUS) Q2 Results and Guidance Beat Estimates
- Amazon.com (AMZN) Misses Q3 EPS by 26c, Offers Q4 Guidance
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Deutsche Bank downgraded Sprouts Farmers Market (NASDAQ: SFM) from Buy to Hold with a price target of $20.00 (from $28.00) after the company lowered FY guidance. Analyst Shane Higgins highlighted worsening deflation with no end in sight and the fact that conventional grocers stepped-up promotional intensity. In his view, greater competition and uncertainty equates to a lower multiple.
"Yesterday (9/7), SFM announced that FY16 sales and earnings would come in well below guidance provided on 8/4 due to ongoing deflation and a steppedup promotional environment. Our Buy rating was based in part on our view that SFM would be somewhat insulated from competitive pressures given SFM’s strong value offering, particularly in produce. However, we underestimated the severity of the current environment. Given the limited visibility into when deflationary and/or competitive trends may abate, we believe that SFM shares deserve a lower multiple," said the analyst.
"SFM is seeing a significant step-up in promotional activity from conventional grocers, who are using aggressive promotions in their circulars to drive traffic, which is impacting SFM’s traffic. The deflationary environment may be a key contributor to the promotional activity, as grocers are becoming more desperate to drive comps. We believe the consumer may also be under pressure and may be more value-driven," added the analyst.
Shares of Sprouts Farmers Market closed at $19.68 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Mizuho Securities Downgrades Community Health (CYH) to Underperform
- Jefferies Raises Price Target on Northrop Grumman (NOC) Following 3Q Beat
- Jefferies Raises Price Target on Western Digital (WDC) to $75; Reiterates Buy
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Downgrades, Hot Comments
Related EntitiesDeutsche Bank, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!