Depomed (DEPO) Back in Play Amid Recent Chatter; Valuation Remains Below Horizon Offer - Mizuho
- Futures lower on Deutsche Bank concerns
- Oil falls as investors cash in on OPEC deal rally, dollar rises
- Costco Wholesale (COST) Tops Q4 EPS by 4c; Comps Rose 3%
- Elliott Shows 8.1% Stake in Mentor Graphics (MENT) - 13D
- After-Hours Stock Movers 09/29: (MENT) (CEMP) (COST) Higher; (CAMP) (ABUS) Lower (more...)
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Mizuho securities affirms Depomed (Nasdaq: DEPO) at Buy with a price target of $23 following news that the company is seeking a possible sale.
The firm commented,
We had previously modeled a hypothetical takeout price for DEPO of $26 based on a 4.5x EV/sales multiple applied to our FY:17 estimates of $558M. HZNP recently entered an agreement to acquire RPTP, an Orphan company, at a ~6.2x price/sales multiple (based on FY:16 guidance), and if DEPO were acquired a slight discount to this (4-5x), it could fetch somewhere between $24-$31/share, in our view. We note that this is still below last year's $32/share offer from HZNP. DEPO has been a top pick for us due to the compelling takeout thesis in the name, and we reiterate our Buy rating. We will reassess our PT after updating our model for Aug prescription trends.
We like how DEPO mgmt. may have opted to run a process to avoid a contentious shareholder vote to replace its Board later in the year. This initiative should generate an optimal outcome for shareholders, in our view. The timing also suggests to us that the company is nearing a Nucynta/ER legal decision, which will allow prospective buyers to better value the stock. We don't see HZNP as a likely buyer given its RPTP acquisition and its plans to diversify away from primary care. We see additional upside to valuation from DEPO's patent litigation with Purdue, which could entitle DEPO to a retroactive single digit royalty on ~$15B in branded Oxycontin sales.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Lexmark (LXK) Gets CFIUS Approval for Apex Tech Deal
- UPDATE: Onex in Lead to Acquire SUPERVALU's (SVU) Save-A-Lot - Reuters
- UPDATE: Spotify said in Advanced Talks to Acquire SoundCloud - FT (AAPL) (TWTR)
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions, Rumors
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!