Cowen Sees the Qualcomm/NXP Semi Deal as 'Transformational' (QCOM) (NXPI)
- Wall Street falls as investors ready for Trump's inauguration
- IBM (IBM) Tops Q4 EPS by 13c, FY17 EPS Guidance Beats Consensus
- American Express (AXP) Misses Q4 EPS by 7c, FY17 EPS Guidance Tops Views at Mid-Poinit
- Skyworks Solutions (SWKS) Tops Q1 EPS by 3c, Offers Q2 Guidance, Announces Buyback
- After-Hours Stock Movers 01/19: (SWKS) (QRVO) (NVAX) Higher; (AFMD) (SGYP) (IBM) Lower (more...)
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
The firm commented on Thursday:
While not without integration challenges (QCOM is fabless) is partially integrated with significant mfg operations), the bottom line is that we love this deal for QCOM and we have been suggesting for almost a year, since last November (QCT Better, QTL Worse), and five additional times in the intervening period. Given the significant accretion to this deal (see below) and how much we think QCOM needs NXPI, we are frankly a bit surprised NXPI would not push for a higher price.
IoT/connected everything is the most fertile new ground for QCOM and this deal is highly synergistic with QCOM's current efforts as the 5G standard takes shape. While many IoT devices will be low ASP commodities, Automotive and Industrial are IoT verticals that we see as more profitable for semiconductors, and this is precisely the exposure that QCOM gains with NXPI. With NXPI’s sensor, analog, and in-car/industrial networking capability combined with QCOM’s processing and connectivity solutions, QCOM could become the dominant player in connected industrial/automotive applications and gains even further leverage in defining the 5G ecosystem.
Additionally, the impact on QCOM's stock should be positive as the incessant focus on smartphone units - most specifically iPhone - will now be significantly mitigated and QCT should also get a much better multiple in a SOTP as a result (we recently raised our target to $74 to reflect a 15x multiple for QCT - more in-line w/the sector - rather than a 10x prior assumption).
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Federal Judge to Block Anthem (ANTM), Cigna Corp. (CI) Merger - NYP
- Intricon Corporation (IIN) Exercises Option to Acquire Remaining 80% Stake in Hearing Help Express
- Netflix (NFLX) PT Raised to $165.00 at Oppenheimer
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesCowen & Co, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!