Canaccord Genuity Cuts Price Target on Illumina (ILMN) to $135 Following Weak 3Q Preannouncement
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
Canaccord Genuity maintained a Hold rating on Illumina (NASDAQ: ILMN), and cut the price target to $135.00 (from $165.00), following the company's 3Q preannouncement. After the close, ILMN preannounced revenues of ~$607M, ~$21M below the Street's $628M and the $625-630M guide. ILMN did not report adjusted EPS but the revenue shortfall implies EPS of $0.87, below the Street's $0.91 estimate.
Analyst Mark Massaro commented, "We expect ILMN to be off ~20%+ at the open after the company preannounced another large quarterly miss, and guided a very weak Q4. This evening we spoke to the company, who is still searching for answers to explain the miss, but does know the weakness was driven by a shortfall in the US from its 2500/4000 line, followed by one fewer HiSeq X system deal (an X5 or an X10), likely from China, in our view. While the preannounced Q3 shortfall is discouraging, the weak Q4 is troubling, especially since it is US-related and not China-related. What's more, we remain chiefly concerned about 2017 and 2018 growth as well as spending, "bridge years" before the company gets to Grail, if that launches in 2019 (we are not convinced of that, either). Trading at the loftiest valuation among its peers in the space, a reset in its multiple is sensible. We lower our PT to $135, which assumes a ~33x P/E multiple (from ~40x) on our 2017 Adj. EPS of $4.05. We will update our model after ILMN reports its full Q3 results on November 1st."
Shares of Illumina closed at $184.85 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Imperial Capital Raises Price Target on Proofpoint (PFPT) Following Strong 3Q Results
- Maxim Integrated (MXIM) PT Bumped to $45 at Jefferies Following In-Line Results on Note 7 Impact
- Microsoft (MSFT): Still Grossly Overvalued - Jefferies
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS Change, Analyst PT Change
Related EntitiesCanaccord Genuity
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!