Buy KLA-Tencor (KLAC) Following Lam Research (LRCX) Merger Termination - Cowen
- Netflix, Inc. (NFLX) Tops Q4 EPS by 1c; Subs Beat Views
- S&P 500 ends up slightly with boost from financials; Netflix up late
- Nestle Said Examining Takeover of Mead Johnson (MJN) - Source
- La Quinta Holdings (LQ) Gains on Plan to Split in Two
- Fed's Yellen says 'makes sense' to gradually raise interest rates
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
Analyst Tim Arcuri commented:
Merger termination is consistent w/the likely outcome we laid out in our 8/29/16 upgrade of KLAC and again yesterday. As we indicated, though the merger was no worse than a 50/50 proposition from a regulatory perspective, the sequence of events suggested to us that customer pushback had developed - most likely from INTC. We felt the parties would ultimately decide that it was not worth the trouble. With respect to LRCX: the fundamental outlook remains incredibly strong with ’17 likely to be another strong year and the stock still trading at an often-difficult-to-explain discount to broadersemi peers.
However, given that we were long-ago proponents of this deal before it happened, if we are intellectually honest with ourselves, we have to admit that we saw KLAC as a key element to the thesis that would drive LRCX’s multiple higher and drive big EPS accretion. Net/net, LRCX will continue to partner with KLAC on inspection and could possibly also try to acquire the necessary inspection capability via other smaller mergers (NVMI? NANO?). With respect to KLAC: we have been advocating that investors get on board as this is the next story in SPE. As KLAC reverts to standalone, this should start to play out; Street models are stale, estimates are about to go way higher, and the relative multiple compression here has been staggering. There is simply no reason why KLAC cannot be a $90 stock without even pushing our assumptions.
Cowen rates KLA-Tencor at Outperform with a price target of $80.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Eli Lilly (LLY) to Acquire CoLucid Pharmaceuticals (CLCD) for $960M
- Jefferies Reiterates Buy on Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) Following Announced Plans to Acquire SimpliVity
- Noble Energy (NBL) to Acquire Clayton Williams Energy (CWEI) for $2.7B in Cash and Stock
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesCowen & Co, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!