Buy KLA-Tencor (KLAC) Following Lam Research (LRCX) Merger Termination - Cowen
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
Analyst Tim Arcuri commented:
Merger termination is consistent w/the likely outcome we laid out in our 8/29/16 upgrade of KLAC and again yesterday. As we indicated, though the merger was no worse than a 50/50 proposition from a regulatory perspective, the sequence of events suggested to us that customer pushback had developed - most likely from INTC. We felt the parties would ultimately decide that it was not worth the trouble. With respect to LRCX: the fundamental outlook remains incredibly strong with ’17 likely to be another strong year and the stock still trading at an often-difficult-to-explain discount to broadersemi peers.
However, given that we were long-ago proponents of this deal before it happened, if we are intellectually honest with ourselves, we have to admit that we saw KLAC as a key element to the thesis that would drive LRCX’s multiple higher and drive big EPS accretion. Net/net, LRCX will continue to partner with KLAC on inspection and could possibly also try to acquire the necessary inspection capability via other smaller mergers (NVMI? NANO?). With respect to KLAC: we have been advocating that investors get on board as this is the next story in SPE. As KLAC reverts to standalone, this should start to play out; Street models are stale, estimates are about to go way higher, and the relative multiple compression here has been staggering. There is simply no reason why KLAC cannot be a $90 stock without even pushing our assumptions.
Cowen rates KLA-Tencor at Outperform with a price target of $80.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- KLA-Tencor (KLAC) PT Raised to $85 at Cowen
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 10/21: (ALKS) (RAI) (PFPT) (MSFT) Higher; (SGY) (TWLO) (RRGB) Lower (more...)
- Discovery Communications (DISCA) Gains on Time Warner/AT&T Deal Headlines
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesCowen & Co, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!