Buy KLA-Tencor (KLAC) Following Lam Research (LRCX) Merger Termination - Cowen
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
Analyst Tim Arcuri commented:
Merger termination is consistent w/the likely outcome we laid out in our 8/29/16 upgrade of KLAC and again yesterday. As we indicated, though the merger was no worse than a 50/50 proposition from a regulatory perspective, the sequence of events suggested to us that customer pushback had developed - most likely from INTC. We felt the parties would ultimately decide that it was not worth the trouble. With respect to LRCX: the fundamental outlook remains incredibly strong with ’17 likely to be another strong year and the stock still trading at an often-difficult-to-explain discount to broadersemi peers.
However, given that we were long-ago proponents of this deal before it happened, if we are intellectually honest with ourselves, we have to admit that we saw KLAC as a key element to the thesis that would drive LRCX’s multiple higher and drive big EPS accretion. Net/net, LRCX will continue to partner with KLAC on inspection and could possibly also try to acquire the necessary inspection capability via other smaller mergers (NVMI? NANO?). With respect to KLAC: we have been advocating that investors get on board as this is the next story in SPE. As KLAC reverts to standalone, this should start to play out; Street models are stale, estimates are about to go way higher, and the relative multiple compression here has been staggering. There is simply no reason why KLAC cannot be a $90 stock without even pushing our assumptions.
Cowen rates KLA-Tencor at Outperform with a price target of $80.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Pandora (P) Advisers Said to Begin Reaching Out to Possible Suitors Following Approach from Sirius (SIRI) - Bloomberg
- UPDATE: Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Talks with Actelion Said to Progress After New Offer North of $250/Share - Bloomberg
- Moody's Assigns 'Ba3' Rating to Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers (RBA); Outlook Stable
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesCowen & Co, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!