Brinker International (EAT): Ready To Pull Ahead Of The Pack - Wells Fargo
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Wells Fargo analyst, Jeff Farmer, reiterated his Market Perform rating on shares of Brinker Int'l (NYSE: EAT) but after six quarters of market share losses, he now expects Chili’s SSS gap, relative to the industry, to reverse course in F1Q17. The analyst believes the company will continue down that path throughout FY17, which should keep the shares trading at a premium to peers.
EAT is scheduled to report F1Q17 earnings on 10/25 (BMO). The analyst is modeling EPS of $0.53 (-6% yr/yr), below the Street estimate of $0.55 and driven by a 0.2% same-store sales (SSS) decline at Chili’s, 60bps of store-level margin compression and a 60bps up-tick in G&A spending yr/yr.
The analyst expects investors to focus on
1) Chili’s SSS balanced against management’s confidence in outperforming peers. Casual dining SSS trends slowed materially throughout the quarter (down 1.3%, the weakest performance since F3Q14)
2) the impact of recent initiatives on SSS (i.e., ‘3 for Me’, expanded bar taps, increased media spend)
3) FY17 EPS guidance ($3.40-$3.50 now and expect it to be reiterated).
No change to the valuation range of $49 - $51.
Shares of Brinker Int'l closed at $50.77 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Oppenheimer Cuts Price Target on Workday (WDAY) Following 3Q; Reiterates Outperform
- Jefferies Cuts Price Target on Dollar General (DG) Following 3Q
- Dougherty & Co Starts CardioNet (BEAT) at Buy
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View
Related EntitiesEarnings, Wells Fargo
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!