BlackBerry (BBRY): Raising Valuation Range On Model Roll Forward, Still Cautious - Wells Fargo
- Wall Street falls with financials, other post-election gainers
- The FTC Confirms Antitrust Charges Against Qualcomm (QCOM) for Monopolizing Semiconductor Device Used in Cell Phones
- United Airlines (UAL) Tops Q4 EPS by 5c
- Obama shortens sentence of Manning, who gave secrets to WikiLeaks
- After-Hours Stock Movers 01/17: (SHLO) Higher; (GIMO) (AFAM) (CSX) Lower (more...)
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
Wells Fargo analyst, Maynard Um, reiterated his Market Perform rating on shares of BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) but raised his valuation range to $7.80-$8.60 (from $7.25-$8.00) as he rolls the model forward to FY18.
Upside in the quarter was a result of lower D&A while SAF profit upside was offset by Software profit downside. BBRY made the right decision in shuttering its hardware business and focusing on becoming a software company but concerns now revolve around growth and visibility.
Software is expected to grow 30% this FY but the analyst thinks Street forecasts for $692MM in Software rev in FY17 have risk if not for the classification of royalty into the Software segment. He also thinks Street's F18 revenue of $848MM also seems aggressive even when accounting for the reclassification of royalty revenue (we forecast $800MM including royalties of $28MM). Software revenue and profits missed ests this quarter though management maintained FY guidance (resulting in a more back end loaded year).
The analyst raised FY17/Fy18 EPS ests to $0.01/-$0.04 from -$0.08/-$0.09. The key now is driving revenue growth and given limited visibility and the application of a 4x multiple on the Software business, there is no reason to upgrade.
Shares of BlackBerry closed at $8.33 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: JPMorgan Downgrades OneMain (OMF) to Neutral
- FBR Capital Remains Sidelined on Comerica (CMA) Following 4Q Report
- UPDATE: Stifel Upgrades Parkway Properties (PKY) to Hold
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Earnings
Related EntitiesWells Fargo
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!