BlackBerry (BBRY): Raising Valuation Range On Model Roll Forward, Still Cautious - Wells Fargo
- Wall Street again marks new highs in post-election run
- Broadcom Ltd. (AVGO) Tops Q4 EPS by 11c
- Restoration Hardware (RH) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Guides Well Below the Street
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 12/8: (COOL) (TLRD) (DRAM) Higher; (SHIP) (OHRP) (MLSS) Lower
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/08: (FNSR) (AVGO) (GLPG) Higher; (XTLY) (RH) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Wells Fargo analyst, Maynard Um, reiterated his Market Perform rating on shares of BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) but raised his valuation range to $7.80-$8.60 (from $7.25-$8.00) as he rolls the model forward to FY18.
Upside in the quarter was a result of lower D&A while SAF profit upside was offset by Software profit downside. BBRY made the right decision in shuttering its hardware business and focusing on becoming a software company but concerns now revolve around growth and visibility.
Software is expected to grow 30% this FY but the analyst thinks Street forecasts for $692MM in Software rev in FY17 have risk if not for the classification of royalty into the Software segment. He also thinks Street's F18 revenue of $848MM also seems aggressive even when accounting for the reclassification of royalty revenue (we forecast $800MM including royalties of $28MM). Software revenue and profits missed ests this quarter though management maintained FY guidance (resulting in a more back end loaded year).
The analyst raised FY17/Fy18 EPS ests to $0.01/-$0.04 from -$0.08/-$0.09. The key now is driving revenue growth and given limited visibility and the application of a 4x multiple on the Software business, there is no reason to upgrade.
Shares of BlackBerry closed at $8.33 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- lululemon athletica (LULU): Raising Estimates, Cutting Valuation Range - Wells Fargo
- FBR Capital Raises Price Target on TEGNA (TGNA) Following Investor Conference
- BMO Capital Cuts Price Target on Comtech Telecom (CMTL) to $16 Following 1Q
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Earnings
Related EntitiesWells Fargo
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!