Berenberg Downgrades Boston Beer Company (SAM) to Sell
- Stocks dip as earnings pour in, consumer discretionary lags
- UPDATE: Alphabet (GOOG) Tops Q3 EPS Views; Revs Strong
- Baker Hughes (BHI), General Electric (GE) in Partnership Talks, Not Merger Talks
- Cirrus Logic, Inc. (CRUS) Q2 Results and Guidance Beat Estimates
- Amazon.com (AMZN) Misses Q3 EPS by 26c, Offers Q4 Guidance
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Berenberg downgraded Boston Beer Company (NYSE: SAM) from Hold to Sell with a price target of $135.00.
Analyst Adam Mizrahi commented, "The key reasons behind our original Sell case on Boston Beer grow stronger. We have so far downgraded our earnings forecasts on three occasions since we initiated in early 2016. And we are doing so again today. We see downside to consensus H2 estimates, which look for a broadly flat top line (H116: -4.0%) despite worsening depletion trends in Sam Adams and Angry Orchard, and the lapping of Root Beer launch comps. Longer-term, we retain our view that Jim Koch’s exit from the business is possible, but we now believe there is a more attractive alternative than a third-party sale: a leveraged ESOP. This offers Jim Koch tax benefits as well as the opportunity to protect his legendary status within the craft beer industry. Leveraged ESOPs are becoming increasingly common in US brewing."
Shares of Boston Beer Company closed at $163.18 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Mizuho Securities Downgrades Community Health (CYH) to Underperform
- UPDATE: Stifel Upgrades Highwoods Properties Inc. (HIW) to Buy
- Jefferies Raises Price Target on Northrop Grumman (NOC) Following 3Q Beat
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Downgrades, Hot Downgrades
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!