BMO 'Neutral to Positive' on Pfizer's (PFE) Medivation Takeover
- Wall Street falls as investors ready for Trump's inauguration
- IBM (IBM) Tops Q4 EPS by 13c, FY17 EPS Guidance Beats Consensus
- American Express (AXP) Misses Q4 EPS by 7c, FY17 EPS Guidance Tops Views at Mid-Poinit
- Skyworks Solutions (SWKS) Tops Q1 EPS by 3c, Offers Q2 Guidance, Announces Buyback
- After-Hours Stock Movers 01/19: (SWKS) (QRVO) (NVAX) Higher; (AFMD) (SGYP) (IBM) Lower (more...)
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
BMO Capital analyst Alex Arfaei weighed in on Pfizer's (NYSE: PFE) $14 billion takeover of Medivation (NASDAQ: MDVN), saying he is Neutral to Positive on the deal despite the "arguably rich" multiple.
"... Xtandi and pipeline complement Pfizer's oncology portfolio well and significantly strengthen Pfizer's Innovative Health segment," Arfaei said.
The analyst notes Xtandi sales (booked by Astellas) over the past four quarters were $2.2 billion, while JNJ's Zytiga sales were $2.3 billion. Also, Xtandi (up 22% in 2Q) has recently been growing at a faster rate than Zytiga (10% in 2Q) on a superior competitive profile.
In addition, Medivation's Talazoparib potentially strengthen Pfizer's leadership in breast cancer. Also, importantly, the deal strengthens Pfizer's Innovative Health segment.
"The addition of Xtandi and a key pipeline asset in Talazoparib should alleviate concerns about Pfizer's Innovative segment, including overreliance on Ibrance and slowing Prevnar sales," he said. "With the Medivation deal and the recent Anacor acquisition, we have increased confidence in PFE's Innovative portfolio and pipeline and reiterate our Outperform rating."
Outperform price target of $40.00
Shares of Pfizer closed at $34.98 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Netflix (NFLX) PT Raised to $150.00 at BMO Capital; Keeps 'Market Perform'
- Mizuho Sees a Rebound in Mallinckrodt (MNK) Post FTC Settlement
- Cree (CREE) PT Raised to $23 at Canaccord Genuity
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments
Related EntitiesBMO Capital, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!