Axiom's Johnson Sees Tesla (TSLA) Tapping Equity Market for Another $3B; Lowers SolarCity (SCTY) Target to $14
- Wall Street dips as telecoms slump; AmEx surges
- Microsoft (MSFT) Tops Q1 EPS by 8c
- AMD (AMD) Posts Q3 Operating EPS of 3c; Sees Q4 Revenue Down Sequentially
- AT&T (T) Said to Discuss Idea of Takeover in Time Warner (TWX) Meetings
- After-Hours Stock Movers 10/20: (CERC) (ALKS) (PFPT) (MSFT) Higher; (SKX) (RRGB) (AMD) Lower (more...)
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
(Updated - September 9, 2016 12:20 PM EDT)
In the report, Johnson said after analyzing the recent S-4 he sees "burgeoning risk" to the deal closing. First, he highlighted that Tesla didn't look at any other solar companies besides SolarCity. After just 3-weeks or less of due diligence into a very complex, heavily indebted company, Evercore declared SolarCity "the most attractive asset for Tesla in the solar energy industry." They did this even though they didn't receive SolarCity's financials until 3 weeks later. Further, he notes that Evercore's terminal growth rate of 3.0%-5.0% for SolarCity DevCo suggests, at some point in the future, it would grow to be larger than the entire US economy. Meanwhile, SolarCity couldn't find anyone willing to top Tesla's offer.
Given this info, the analyst believes Tesla shareholders are incrementally less inclined to vote "yes" for this deal before the current 4/30/17 cutoff date.
He also said he believes Tesla has already provided $175 million in bridge financing to SolarCity, a sign of a beleaguered company.
Johnson also believes the debt market are shutoff for Tesla and sees the electric vehicle maker tapping the equity market with a large $3 billion capital raise.
The firm's risk-adjusted price target on SolarCity moves down to $14 from $18.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Tesla (TSLA)/SolarCity (SCTY) Deal Spread Lowest Since Late August
- Lam Research (LRCX) PT Raised to $95 at Nomura But Remains Sidelined
- Baird Reiterates Bullish View on Tesla (TSLA) Following Autonomous Hardware Update
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst PT Change, Equity Offerings, Rumors, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesTesla, Definitive Agreement, Gordon Johnson
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!