Are Autopart Retailers Amazon's (AMZN) Next Causality? (AAP) (AZO) (ORLY)
- S&P, Dow fall with health stocks; Microsoft lifts Nasdaq
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
- General Electric (GE) Tops Q3 EPS by 2c; Updates FY16 EPS Outlook
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
Major autopart retailers, Advance Auto Parts (NYSE: AAP), AutoZone (NYSE: AZO) and O'Reilly Automotive (NASDAQ: ORLY), are holding their own Wednesday despite a cautious Jefferies report which highlighted Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) and other online competition.
The firm performed an online price study and found that discounts at Amazon and RockAuto could place limits on historically positive gross margin trajectory at traditional retailers. "Analyzing more than 1,000 price checks across 150 SKUs in nine product categories, we find that AMZN and RockAuto average a 23% & 24% discount to mean Big 3 (AAP, AZO & ORLY) pricing, respectively," analyst Bret Jordan said. "E-tailers posted below mean pricing in 8 of 9 product categories and averaged double digit discounts in 7 categories."
Further, a surprisingly robust branded hardparts offering also leads them to believe Amazon may become a longer term competitor in "traditional" auto parts. "We analyzed branded SKU availability to gauge inventory levels of major brands. AMZN posted the highest available SKU rate at 98.7% outpacing AAP, ORLY and AZO at 95%, 86% & 55%, respectively," he commented. "We see AMZN's high branded inventory mix as a sign of the e-tailer's likely traction in traditional parts distribution and believe the e-tailer could be ahead of a previously stated 2017 YE goal to expand beyond specialty product focus."
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Jefferies Cuts Price Target on Reliance Steel (RS) Following 3Q EPS Miss and Guidance
- Microsoft (MSFT): Still Grossly Overvalued - Jefferies
- PayPal (PYPL): Why Paypal Is A Must Own Stock - Jefferies
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesJefferies & Co
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!