Amazon (AMZN) Will Continue to Dwarf Wal-Mart's (WMT) Online Business After Jet.com Combo
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
It's abundantly clear that Wal-Mart's (NYSE: WMT) $3 billion takeover of Jet.com announced today is mainly about one thing - Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN). Secondarily, Wal-Mart got Jet.com CEO Marc Lore, who, according to reports, was originally targeted by Walmart while at his prior company, Diapers.com, which incidentally Amazon bought in 2010. Lore will head up the legacy Walmart business, according to reports.
Cowen analyst John Blackledge said the the deal "demonstrates the impact Amazon is having on broader retail both for traditional retailers and for new E-commerce concerns like Jet."
The analyst believes Wal-Mart is paying a "steep multiple" but said it "may prove worthwhile if it jump-starts the offering. For Jet, we think the daunting reality of Amazon's scale likely tipped the balance in favor of sale after only two years."
Amazon will continue to tower over the combined company. Amazon operates ~290 distribution facilities worldwide. In addition, they estimate Amazon's US GMV at ~$147BN for '16, versus closer to estimated $1BN and $10BN for Jet and Walmart.com, respectively.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- KLA-Tencor (KLAC) PT Raised to $85 at Cowen
- Philip Morris Intl (PM) PT Raised to $101 at Jefferies
- Wedbush Reiterates Outperform on Pool Corp. (POOL) Following 3Q Report
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments
Related EntitiesCowen & Co
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!