Alibaba (BABA): Strong Cloud Growth, Mobile and Monetization - Jefferies
- Wall Street dips as Verizon drags; AmEx curbs losses
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 10/20: (DRWI) (MBRX) (SPU) Higher; (RIGL) (FLXS) (DXPE) Lower
- Tesla (TSLA) Announces Self-Driving Hardware for All Vehicles in Production; Includes Model 3
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Tops Q4 EPS by 8c; Guides FY17 EPS
- Verizon Communications (VZ) Tops Q3 EPS by 2c
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
Jefferies analyst, Jesse Guo, reiterated his Buy rating on shares of Alibaba (NYSE: BABA) after FY1Q17 results beat expectations on strong revenue growth and higher than expected margins. Mobile penetration and monetization improved while the cloud delivered strong growth indicating it could reach break even in the near term.
Key points in the quarter:
1) Revenue grew 58.8% yoy to RMB32.2bn, 5.4% and 6.7% above consensus
2) Active customers reached 434m (+18% yoy),
3) GMV grew 24% yoy to RMB837bn
4) GPM reached 66.3% (-5.5ppt yoy), due to consolidation of Youku and Lazada, and dilution from Tmall Supermarket
5) Non-GAAP net income grew 32.3% yoy to RMB12.6bn; 18% above consensus, partly due to lower product development expenses and exchange gains.
6) Non-GAAP net margin was 39.2%, -7.9ppt yoy due to GPM contraction and higher loss from equity investees.
The PT rises to $103 from $101.
Shares of Alibaba closed at $91.77 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Jefferies Cuts Price Target on Genuine Parts (GPC) to $95 Following 3Q Report
- UPDATE: Wells Fargo Upgrades Vail Resorts (MTN) to Outperform
- Jefferies Cuts Price Target on WD-40 Co. (WDFC) Following 4Q Report
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS Change, Analyst EPS View, Analyst PT Change
Related EntitiesJefferies & Co
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!