Alexion Pharmaceuticals (ALXN) Stock Approaching 'Worst-Case' Scenario - Leerink
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
Leerink Partners analyst Geoffrey Porges weighed in on Alexion Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: ALXN) following the sell-off on 10-Q delay. The firm said the stock is approaching worst-case downside scenarios that can only be justified if one assumes the failure of pipeline indications and of any future Soliris label expansion. They believe the stock can recover to ~$150/share.
Porges commented, "Compared to peer large-cap high growth biotechs such as Regeneron (REGN, OP) and Vertex (VRTX, OP), Alexion (ALXN, OP) missed the post-election biotech rally and has continued its underperformance. Over a short 10-day period, a ~30% valuation gap has emerged between ALXN’s stock and its peers. Further, ALXN’s absolute valuation is at or approaching worst-case downside scenarios that can only be justified if one assumes the failure of pipeline indications and of any future Soliris label expansions. We calculate that the value of the current Soliris label, Strensiq, and Kanuma are $100, if we assume no improvement in operating margins (from the current multi-launch level of investment); if we assume the margin improves materially (with multiple pipeline disappointments) then the current products with no additional indications are worth $125. We believe the current stock pullback presents a unique opportunity for investors, and potentially trade buyers, to secure a long duration, high potential, high margin biopharmaceutical franchise; the value of this franchise, and its future expansion opportunities, are unlikely to be materially affected by the internal investigations delaying the 10-Q filing. Once this uncertainty is resolved, which is likely to occur by the end of the month, we believe the stock can recover to ~$150."
The firm maintained an Outperform rating and price target of $211 on ALXN.
Shares of Alexion Pharmaceuticals closed at $113.62 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Barclays Upgrades Alexion Pharmaceuticals (ALXN) to Overweight
- Oppenheimer Cuts Price Target on Workday (WDAY) Following 3Q; Reiterates Outperform
- Tesla's (TSLA) Price Target Cut to Street Low of $155 at Cowen
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, FDA, Hot Comments, Trader Talk
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!