Alexion Pharmaceuticals (ALXN) Stock Approaching 'Worst-Case' Scenario - Leerink
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Leerink Partners analyst Geoffrey Porges weighed in on Alexion Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: ALXN) following the sell-off on 10-Q delay. The firm said the stock is approaching worst-case downside scenarios that can only be justified if one assumes the failure of pipeline indications and of any future Soliris label expansion. They believe the stock can recover to ~$150/share.
Porges commented, "Compared to peer large-cap high growth biotechs such as Regeneron (REGN, OP) and Vertex (VRTX, OP), Alexion (ALXN, OP) missed the post-election biotech rally and has continued its underperformance. Over a short 10-day period, a ~30% valuation gap has emerged between ALXN’s stock and its peers. Further, ALXN’s absolute valuation is at or approaching worst-case downside scenarios that can only be justified if one assumes the failure of pipeline indications and of any future Soliris label expansions. We calculate that the value of the current Soliris label, Strensiq, and Kanuma are $100, if we assume no improvement in operating margins (from the current multi-launch level of investment); if we assume the margin improves materially (with multiple pipeline disappointments) then the current products with no additional indications are worth $125. We believe the current stock pullback presents a unique opportunity for investors, and potentially trade buyers, to secure a long duration, high potential, high margin biopharmaceutical franchise; the value of this franchise, and its future expansion opportunities, are unlikely to be materially affected by the internal investigations delaying the 10-Q filing. Once this uncertainty is resolved, which is likely to occur by the end of the month, we believe the stock can recover to ~$150."
The firm maintained an Outperform rating and price target of $211 on ALXN.
Shares of Alexion Pharmaceuticals closed at $113.62 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Citron Research Negative on TransDigm Group (TDG) amid Trump Era; Calls Valeant of Aerospace
- Herbalife's (HLF) Debt Package News Seen as 'Enormous Positive' at Pivotal Research
- JPMorgan Cuts Teva Pharma (TEVA) to Neutral Amid Challenging Generic Environment
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, FDA, Hot Comments, Trader Talk
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!