"No Fundamental Value" For Fannie Mae (FNM) and Freddie Mac (FRE) - Analyst
- Market Wrap: Horizon Pharma Gets Hostile on Depomed; Tesla Slumps on Downgrade; U.S. Trade Deficit Widens in May
- The Container Store Group, Inc. (TCS) Tops Q1 EPS by 2c, Offers FY15 Guidance
- After-Hours Stock Movers 07/07: (TCS) (TREE) (VMW) Higher; (CLVS) (KTWO) Lower (more...)
- Plug Power (PLUG) Reports Record Quarterly Revenues for Q2; Maintains FY15 Outlook
- Horizon Pharma (HZNP) Proposes to Acquire Depomed (DEPO) for $29.25/Share
FBR Capital is reiterating their Underperform rating on Fannie Mae (NYSE: FNM) and Freddie Mac (NYSE: FRE) following the recent run-up in the shares. The firm believes there is no fundamental value remaining in FNM and FRE, particularly since the government owns 80% of each company.
The analyst commented, "To date, Uncle Sam has invested $96.3 billion in the GSEs, and we expect more government capital injections in the coming quarters. FNM and FRE shares have moved materially in the last two weeks on speculation that a reverse stock split will take place. However, we would note that even in the GSE's regulatory filings, the companies point out that their management teams are not in favor of reverse stock splits, despite the potential for the shares to be delisted from the NYSE. However, the boards of directors and regulators will impact the decision, and to our understanding, the decision on a potential reverse stock split has not been made. In our opinion, the regulators will not want to create a false sense of value in FNM and FRE shares and will likely shy away from reverse stock splits."
The firm said the most likely scenario is that the GSE's operations will be split up, and Fannie and Freddie will be spun out of the government as mortgage insurers with small portfolios; the majority of the portfolio would likely remain in the government's hands.
Real-Time Market Moving News Two-Weeks FREE http://www.streetinsider.com/premium_content.php
You May Also Be Interested In
- Rosenblatt Sees Quality China ADR 'Go Private' Deals Closing; Says Still Undervalued to Peers by 5-10x
- UPDATE: UBS Downgrades American Campus Communities (ACC) to Sell
- China ADSs, Related Stocks Trade Sharply Lower (SFUN) (JD) (BABA)
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Insiders' Blog, Trader Talk
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!